Abdul-Rahman

Upgrades

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi guys,
I have two questions regarding upgrades:
1-I have this pic popping Image up when I change my upgrade order from the upgrade view ,though it doesn't block me from changing the order ,I am worried it could affect my installer later ,any clue what this means ?
image link:https://imgur.com/xw16SmH

2-I learned from reading tutorials and comments that if I want installer to rollback to the previous version if a deferred CA fails during upgrade ,I have to set my upgrade order to install new version then uninstall older version ,which is where the first question came from ,now when I do an upgrade installation what happens is the installer removes the older version's files ,then installs the new version files ,then removes these new files ,afterwards a deferred CA is performed which fails because it requires a config file that gets deleted so the installer rollsback to the previous version ,is there any workaround for that ?

Thanks ,
Abdul.

PS:I have my folders on remove during installation and uninstalltion of a component from the features they belong to ,so I can do a clean repair and modification ,meaning it is a clean reinstall(all edits and extra files will be gone)

Catalin

Re: Upgrades

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Abdul,

Unfortunately, as the warning from your picture states, the upgrade order that you want to use is not compatible with the "Windows Features" and "IIS". I am afraid that there is no workaround for that beside not using "Windows features" and "Install new version first and then uninstall old version" upgrade order together.

In what regards your second scenario, when a rollback operation is done, only the custom actions that are scheduled to run during a rollback operation will take place. In order for us to further investigate this, can you please send us a copy of your .aip file (project file), an installation log and a small test case by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Abdul-Rahman

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 am

Hi Catalin ,
Thanks for responding ,do you think it is okay to add another installer as a pre install package to configure windows features and IIS or is it not recommended ?

Abdul-Rahman

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 am

Also can you please explain what you mean by "not compatible" ,like does it try to configure my specified windows feature and fails or does it not try at all ?

Catalin

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello Abdul,
Thanks for responding ,do you think it is okay to add another installer as a pre install package to configure windows features and IIS or is it not recommended ?
You're welcome. Yes, that should work just fine.
Also can you please explain what you mean by "not compatible" ,like does it try to configure my specified windows feature and fails or does it not try at all ?
In what regards this, that upgrade order is a bit tricky and it requires special handling from our side in case that there are global settings modifications happening. That's what "IIS" and "Windows features" do (global settings modifications). We have not yet implemented this installation order for them, but fortunately we have this on our TODO list and it may be available in a future version of Advanced Installer.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”