jfhb

Install fonts popup message no permission to Fonts folder

This only occurs when install by current User on MSI packages. Install for All user is ok.
logs as below:
MSI (s) (AC:94) [14:54:48:705]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=UNIVER~2.TTF|UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF,SourceCabKey=UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPCCNBDIT.TTF,DestName=UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF,Attributes=0,FileSize=193844,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,,,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (AC:94) [14:54:48:705]: File: C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
MSI (s) (AC:94) [14:54:48:705]: Source for file 'UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPCCNBDIT.TTF' is compressed
InstallFiles: File: UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF, Directory: C:\Windows\Fonts\, Size: 193844
MSI (s) (AC:94) [14:54:48:705]: Note: 1: 1304 2: C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF
Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF. Verify that you have access to that directory.

captures like:
The attachment font error.png is no longer available
permanent.png
permanent.png (19.58 KiB) Viewed 5356 times
font error.png
font error.png (41.96 KiB) Viewed 5356 times
I have some questions:
1. why the error information end with "...", can it show all the detail messages?
2. why the font install failed for MSI when install by current user?
jfhb

Re: Install fonts popup message no permission to Fonts folder

add back missing pic in the topic.
what.png
what.png (60.88 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This error may be encountered due to the fact that the user that is trying to install does not have enough privileges (in your case, the "Write" permission) to the specified folder location. The location you are trying to write in (C:\Windows) requires, by default, elevation. With that being said, a user that is not Administrator can not write to that location.

To check that if you have write permission to that location (C:\Windows), you can proceed as it follows:

- navigate to that folder

- try to create a simple text file (.txt). Edit it and try to save it. If you receive the error message, it means that you do not have enough privileges.

In what regards the error message, I am not sure why it displays "..." at the end. However, you can still check the full message from the log:

Code: Select all

Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF. Verify that you have access to that directory.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jfhb

Thanks Catalin!

Yeah, is it possible to enable admin role for the process? bcz when choose install for All, it works.
Catalin wrote:Hello and welcome to our forums,

This error may be encountered due to the fact that the user that is trying to install does not have enough privileges (in your case, the "Write" permission) to the specified folder location. The location you are trying to write in (C:\Windows) requires, by default, elevation. With that being said, a user that is not Administrator can not write to that location.

To check that if you have write permission to that location (C:\Windows), you can proceed as it follows:

- navigate to that folder

- try to create a simple text file (.txt). Edit it and try to save it. If you receive the error message, it means that you do not have enough privileges.

In what regards the error message, I am not sure why it displays "..." at the end. However, you can still check the full message from the log:

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
jfhb

Yeah, btw, is there any setting and so on can let it show all error info?
Catalin wrote:Hello and welcome to our forums,

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Odin,
Yeah, is it possible to enable admin role for the process? bcz when choose install for All, it works.
This can be done by changing the "Installation type" from the "Install Parameters" page to "Per-user only (with administrator rights required)".
I am afraid that I am not aware of any way you can display the whole error. I think this happens because the file path (C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF) is too long.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Catalin
jfhb

Thanks Catalin:
I just check the setting of "Install Parameters" about "Per-User (with admin)".
I will have a try. :)
Catalin wrote:Hello Odin,
This can be done by changing the "Installation type" from the "Install Parameters" page to "Per-user only (with administrator rights required)".
I am afraid that I am not aware of any way you can display the whole error. I think this happens because the file path (C:\Windows\Fonts\UNIVERSNEXTFORMORNPC-CNBDIT.TTF) is too long.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin

You're always welcome, Odin!

I am glad I could be of help.

Kind regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”