jbaynton

Prompt that reboot will be required

Hi all,

In 2 of our product's installers we've recently started receiving the "The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue, a reboot will be required to complete the setup" message, but I'm unable to determine what's blocking it. In an interactive install it's not a huge deal, but a large part of our installs are done automatically and unattended and this dialog prevents us from actually completing the install (let alone the apparent need to restart the machine).

I've emailed support with the log files.

Thanks,

Jeff
Catalin

Re: Prompt that reboot will be required

Hello Jeff,

The restart message is displayed automatically by Windows Installer if, during the "InstallValidate" standard action, it detects that any file that will be affected by the installation process is in use.

For instance, this may happen if a service installed by your package is not stopped when the setup tries to uninstall it. A correct approach to this would be to use the "Detect Service" and the "Stop Service" custom actions.

Quick Note: To check if a service is up and running (started) during the uninstall process, you can simply open a "Run" window (Win+R button), type "services.msc" and check for your services.

Please let me know if this is of help. If not, please send me a copy of your .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jbaynton

Hi Catalin,

This seems to have fixed it, thanks! Still not sure why it seems to have started just recently (maybe a Windows update...it's always Windows updates), but it works, so I don't care too much.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Catalin

You're always welcome, Jeff.

I am glad you got this working.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”