janisito

Skip dialogs using install parameters

Hi,

I have built an installer that has four sub-features. The idea is that the user should be able to select which of these features to install. The checkboxes sets an installer property each so I know what features have been selected.
Select features
Select features
Selection.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
. After this I have 8 different dialogs where the user must input data. Some dialogs are only applicable to a certain feature (sometimes to more than one feature) and hence I would like to skip certain dialogs depending on what features have been selected.
Features
Features
Features.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
I have tried using "Show only if..." but it skips a dialog and sends the user to the VerifyReadyDlg instead.

It seems to be very tricky to accomplish what I'm after?

Please advise!

Thanks,

Regards
Jan
janisito

Re: Skip dialogs using install parameters

I shall answer this one myself, or at least let you know what I ended up doing.

For the dialogs whose next and back buttons could have different previous/next dialogs (routes), I add a new control event for the back/next buttons. I use the following:

Event = Display a specific dialog
Argument = <The dialog that I want to transition to>
Condition = <a condition which is true to redirect to that dialog>

I add a few of these events per button, so I cover all different routes where the back/next button could take me. There's some work involved and a bit error prone. Preferable one would want a stack based approach to the dialogs, so the installer itself would know how to get back to the previously shown dialog. Anyway, it worked out in the end.

For one my dialogs I couldn't change the argument. It was grayed out. Neither could I remove it. Not sure this is a bug or intentional. Thankfully the AIP-project file is editable (good job Caphyon), so as a workaround I could just delete that argument and had it gone.

Regards
Jan
Eusebiu

Hi Jan,

Yes, the solution you implemented is the recommended one. You can see a tutorial about this on the "How to display some dialogs depending on the selected features" page.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
janisito

Great! Thx!
Eusebiu

You're welcome Jan.

Best regards,
Eusebiu