m4major

launch conditions in silent mode [BUG]

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello,
There is a bug with the launch conditions escaped (which cause the installation to proceed normally).
I use AI 15.4.1 trial version.

I tried to create an installation with prerequisites (.NET 4 for this matter) under pre-install.
1. I checked the "check launch conditions before searching for prerequisites".
2. I added this custom launch condition ((UILevel < 5) AND (AI_DETECTED_DOTNET_VERSION >= "4.0.1")) OR (UILevel = 5)
3. The command to launch the installation is: Installer.exe /aespassword:1 /exenoui /qn /norestart

Worth to mention that I using an archive encryption.

P.S
I get a message box that prints my condition description. How can I suppress it in silent (/qn) mode?

Catalin

Re: launch conditions in silent mode [BUG]

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I have tested this and indeed, you are right, the launch condition description is displayed even during a silent install. This is indeed an issue in what regards Advanced Installer and hopefully this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Unfortunately, I can not give you any estimation on when this will be fixed nor could I find any workaround for this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

m4major

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:23 am

Thank you for your reply.

Have you seen that the installation in silent mode is continues despite the launch condition failure?

Catalin

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:19 am

Hello,

I was not able to reproduce the described behavior. If the launch condition is evaluated as false, the launch condition description is spawned and the installation does not further proceed.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please send me a copy of your .AIP file (project file) and a "verbose log" of the installation process (where the launch condition description is spawned, but the installation still succeeds) by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Kind regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.6 of Advanced Installer released on January 8th, 2019.

Kind regards,

Catalin

MikDalOpen

Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Does this bug returned? I've used 19.4 version and in silent mode I do not have any errors, nor by msiexec nor by invoking executable in PowerShell. In log file I have information about error code, but I am afraid about remote installation, wheatear I have any information without log.

When I run that MSI, I got normal error (image in attachments).

To sum up:
1. There should be an error when MSI is run from not elevated console,
2. There should be an error when older MSI is going to run.

Unfortunately, I can't see any error in console.

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "C:\Users\User\source\repos\WpfApp1\AI Setup Project1\AI Setup Project1-SetupFiles\AI Setup Project1-v1.3.msi" /qn
 & '.\AI Setup Project1-v1.3.msi' /qn /log file.log

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (50:BC) [06:09:04:500]: Product: WpfApplicationHelloKitty -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (50:BC) [06:09:04:500]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: WpfApplicationHelloKitty. Product Version: 1.3.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: MyCompany. Installation success or error status: 1603.
[/code
Attachments
vmconnect_EMqYHCkLhA.png
vmconnect_EMqYHCkLhA.png (167.51KiB)Viewed 2073 times

Liviu

Fri May 20, 2022 10:35 am

MikDalOpen wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm
Does this bug returned? I've used 19.4 version and in silent mode I do not have any errors, nor by msiexec nor by invoking executable in PowerShell. In log file I have information about error code, but I am afraid about remote installation, wheatear I have any information without log.
Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, your issue is not related to the bug described in this forum thread. As I can see there was a problem with the launch conditions.
When I run that MSI, I got normal error (image in attachments).

To sum up:
1. There should be an error when MSI is run from not elevated console,
2. There should be an error when older MSI is going to run.

Unfortunately, I can't see any error in console.
Now, back to your scenario, this is not a bug. Please note that this is normal behavior.

In the case of a silent deployment, no error message is displayed by design. To see the errors, a log must be created.

To display the return code of the process, you can try to use a batch file as explained in the Display error message at prompt with silent install forum thread.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”