zbigipaczek

updater saying that the application is already installed and cannot install it

i'm using the advanced updater update and it works, it checks the update, finds it and downloads it but after download it tells me that the application is already installed

http://prntscr.com/lfky66 screenshot of error
Eusebiu

Re: updater saying that the application is already installed and cannot install it

Hi and welcome to our forums.

This problem may appear if the Product Code of the two versions of your product is identical or if their version number is the same.

You can read more about this problem on the "Why do I receive the "Another version of this product is already installed" message" FAQ.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
marco.covolan

Re: updater saying that the application is already installed and cannot install it

Hello!
I've a similar problem at the moment I looking to find a way to solve it. So I'll take the liberty to directly post my question here hopping that's ok.
I fully understand that Windows Installer can only upgrade older Versions when the new Version has a different Product Code. so far ok.. my question is..

Can I use the Custom Action "UninstallPreviousVersions" to automatically and silently uninstall the older Version, which has the same Upgrade Code and Product Code but different Product Version? So the user don't need to manually uninstall the old version via Control Panel before installing the new version.

Thanks a lot in advance for your Help
Marco
Eusebiu

Hi Marco,

I'm afraid that the "Another version is already installed..." error appears before the execution of any custom action, so the "Uninstall Previous Versions" custom action does not help in this scenario. But my question is, why would you keep the same Product Code for different versions of your product?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
marco.covolan

Hi Eusebiu
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Eusebiu wrote: I'm afraid that the "Another version is already installed..." error appears before the execution of any custom action,..
Eusebiu
Ok.. I thought so.. But at this point I don't undestand the purpose of this custom action? So it seems to be just another way to execute a regular upgrade? Is this correct?
Eusebiu wrote: But my question is, why would you keep the same Product Code for different versions of your product?
Eusebiu
Unfortunately it's a quite old and big application full of legacy code working with registry entries checking specific ProductCodes. There is no time to refactor everything. ("I know we should..") This installer package has the same Product Code for almost 20 years.. So there is no way to prevent that users have to uninstall it manually?

Apart from this we only change product code for major and minor updates. But it would be great to upgrade also for patch versions in case the patch breaks the patch rules.. what about this situation? what would you reccomend?

Again thanks a lot for your help and your time!
Best regards
Marco
Eusebiu

Hi Marco,
Ok.. I thought so.. But at this point I don't undestand the purpose of this custom action? So it seems to be just another way to execute a regular upgrade? Is this correct?
With this custom action you can uninstall the older versions of your product, no matter what Installation Type they use (per-user or per-machine).
Unfortunately it's a quite old and big application full of legacy code working with registry entries checking specific ProductCodes. There is no time to refactor everything. ("I know we should..") This installer package has the same Product Code for almost 20 years.. So there is no way to prevent that users have to uninstall it manually?
The only option that I can think of is to ship your package inside a wrapper that will first uninstall the old version and then will start the installation of the new version.
Apart from this we only change product code for major and minor updates.
I've got a bit confused here. Do you actually change the Product Code or not? Changing it for major upgrades, but keeping it for path is actually the recommended way.
But it would be great to upgrade also for patch versions in case the patch breaks the patch rules.. what about this situation? what would you reccomend?
I'm afraid that I do not fully understand this question. Can you please give me more details?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
marco.covolan

Hi Eusebiu

Thank you for your response.
Eusebiu wrote:I've got a bit confused here. Do you actually change the Product Code or not? Changing it for major upgrades, but keeping it for path is actually the recommended way.
At the moment we don't change to Product Code. First we have to refactor the legacy code. After that we will start to change the Product Code for major und minor updates but of course not for patches, as this is the reccomended way I think. So my last question was only referencing packages we will deliver in the future but not right now.

I think it's ok for the moment. I understand that the only correct way to deliver upgrades is to change also the Product Code. This also makes sense of course.

Thank you again for your time and help.
Best regards
Marco
Eusebiu

You're welcome Marco. Glad to help.

If you encounter other problems, just let us know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”