rkgarimella9

UAC - Showing detailed info

Hi Team,

Would like to get your help in dealing with the issue of UAC Dialog showing detailed info.

Our .Net Application exe file, when getting installed, has got few Prerequisites.

Every time we try install, the UAC dialog appears and when we select the option "Show Details", its showing the text that is mentioned in the "Install Command Lines" of Prerequisites. And everytime our main application exe is set to run, it shows the whole lot of details in the UAC window when clicked on "Show Details".

Is there a way for us to configure in the Installer not to show such details to the users?

Thanks,
Ravi
Catalin

Re: UAC - Showing detailed info

Hello Ravi,

I have tried to reproduce your described scenario, but I was not able to do so. Upon pressing the "Show more" button from the User Account Control, there are indeed some details there, but it did not show any of the command line arguments passed in the "Install Command Lines" fields of the "Prerequisites" page.

The details I have got were the following: Publisher, File origin and Program location.

Could you please share with me some screenshots of the described behavior so I can have a better view of this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Later Edit: Is your package an MSI or an EXE? After further investigating this, I have noticed that indeed, when you run an MSI as administrator, when pressing the "Show Details" button form the UAC, the command used to install it is shown (e.g. msiexec/i "PathToMSI" etc. ). Is this what you meant when you said that the command lines are shown when pressing the above specified button?

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
rkgarimella9

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the quick update. Please see the attachment for the details. This is what i'm encountering.

The output for my installer is an .exe file

Thanks,
Ravi
Attachments
ShowDetails.jpg
ShowDetails.jpg (185.82 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
rkgarimella9

Catalin wrote:Hello Ravi,

I have tried to reproduce your described scenario, but I was not able to do so. Upon pressing the "Show more" button from the User Account Control, there are indeed some details there, but it did not show any of the command line arguments passed in the "Install Command Lines" fields of the "Prerequisites" page.

The details I have got were the following: Publisher, File origin and Program location.

Could you please share with me some screenshots of the described behavior so I can have a better view of this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Later Edit: Is your package an MSI or an EXE? After further investigating this, I have noticed that indeed, when you run an MSI as administrator, when pressing the "Show Details" button form the UAC, the command used to install it is shown (e.g. msiexec/i "PathToMSI" etc. ). Is this what you meant when you said that the command lines are shown when pressing the above specified button?

All the best,
Catalin
Hi Catalin,

Any update on this? Please note that I've provided the screenshot.

Thanks,
Ravi
Catalin

Hello Ravi,

First of all, thank you for your patience on this. I was finally able to reproduce your scenario (I was not able to reproduce it last time because my package was not digitally signed).

After further investigating this, I have came to the conclusion that this is the intended behavior of the Windows UAC. This is reproducible with any EXE that is digitally signed and that has the "Run as administrator" option set.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”