Alext

Mst not applied outside AI

I've previously posted in "Building Installers" but maybe it's more a common problem so :

I've created a mst file with our architect version.
it doing simple actions to customize an installer :
Copying 2 files
Creating 3 folders
creating a shortcut on public desktop
Saving the mst, it creates a mst and a cab.
first question but not the most important, is it possible to store the 2 additional files in the mst and not in the cab?
Then, when I use the Run button in AI, it do what I need, installing software and adding files and folders.
But when I run msiexec.exe /I package.msi /transforms=package.mst /qb software is installed but not the files and folders defined in the mst.
What I'm missing?
I could create a msi to do the additional stuff but I would prefer the mst solution.
thanks for your time.
Catalin

Re: Mst not applied outside AI

Hello Alex and welcome to our forums,
first question but not the most important, is it possible to store the 2 additional files in the mst and not in the cab?
I am afraid this is not possible.
Then, when I use the Run button in AI, it do what I need, installing software and adding files and folders.
But when I run msiexec.exe /I package.msi /transforms=package.mst /qb software is installed but not the files and folders defined in the mst.
Please keep in mind that a transform file is a set of installation data which can be added or replaced into a setup package only at install time. It can be applied to an MSI installation package by setting from command line the TRANSFORMS property. A property is passed as a parameter to the msiexec as it follows:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "PathToMSI" PROPERTY="value"
not like this:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "PathToMSI" /PROPERTY="value"
With that being said, in order to make this work, please remove the "/" character from before the property name (in your case "transform" or "TRANSFORM").

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Alext

Hello Catalin,

How I could miss that...

Thank you.
Catalin