marco.covolan

Ignore files in specific folders when running a patch

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello AI Team

I'm using enterprise version 15.4.1
I want to create a Patch which completely ignores files in specific folders as we cleary know we won't patch those files. So we can reduce the patch installation time.

What is the best and most secure way to achieve this?

I know your default REINSTALLMODE is "ecmus". I've already tried with different modes but all don't produce the desired result due to the File Versioning Rules.
Do I need to set the correct attributes in the file or component table or change the overwrite behavior?

I would be very grateful if you could provide me some of your ideas or solutions to solve this problem.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Best regards
Marco

Daniel

Re: Ignore files in specific folders when running a patch

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello Marco,

From what I know this is not possible. A patch installation consists into two steps:

1. the target cached MSI existing on current machine at install time it is updated with the patch database info and then it is recached
2. the recached MSI is launched in repair mode so the patch added installation resources be deployed

During a repair operation Windows Installer checks for all components within all installation features if they have missing resources and if so reinstall the components resources. I am not aware of any method you can use to skip a component check during a repair operation.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

marco.covolan

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Daniel

Thanks a lot for your answer and explanation.

As this is not possible can I at least prevent the "reinstall" of those components setting "Do not overwrite existing files" in the folder's property page?
What I actually want is to prevent the copy of all those components during patch installation.

Setting the "NeverOverwrite" attributes of all those components doesn't seem to be the right way according to the installer database reference of the component table.

Sorry I know those questions should be better posted under "building installers" and not common problems..

Thanks again in advanced for your help.
Best regards
Marco

Daniel

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello Marco,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

Settings the "Do not overwrite existing files" option will not prevent the reinstall of those components. When this option is used we use two additional custom actions: one to create a backup for the files on disk, then the regular installation process is done, and then at the end another custom action come in and restore the original files on disk. So, theoretically this option will just make more tedious the patch installation.

I really have no clue about any possible solution to improve a patch install time.

All the best,
Daniel

marco.covolan

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi Daniel
Daniel wrote: I apologize for the delayed reply.
No Problem.. Thank you for your replay..

I've tried a lot of different settings. At the end setting back to default the REINSTALLMODE to "omus" and enabling hashing of non versioned files have reduced the patch install time a lot in my case.

Thank you again for your help.
Best regards
Marco

Daniel

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:07 am

Hello Marco,

Thank you for sharing with us your solution. I am sure this will be useful for our customers and for us too in the future.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”