ElijahZAwesome

Disabling Patches Backing Up Installation?

Hi, I have been creating a patch for my very large application, and it worked a charm. The only problem is, the patch is completely backing up the original installation, which is obviously not good for a large application, since a user may not have the disk space to store two copies of the software.

It's a simple question, can I disable this "feature"? or can I not? I tried looking on the docs for the patch settings and did some other googling and could find nothing. Thanks in advance.
ElijahZAwesome

Re: Disabling Patches Backing Up Installation?

I searched this forum and eventually found the "Do not overwrite" setting, which was set to "if newer" or whatever the third option is. I set it to always and am going to see if it works.
ElijahZAwesome

It did not solve the problem, my disk usage is going up by GBs at a time when the patch is only 4 MB
Eusebiu

Hi,

I'm not sure why you encounter this problem. Is the disk usage going up right when the patch is installed? Are you sure that the "Do not overwrite files" option is not set for any of the folders from your project?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ElijahZAwesome

The patch will take a very long time, like 15 minutes, and as it copies files, my disk usage spikes massively. I applied the "Allow overwrite files" on the entire "Application Folder" and checked that it applied recursively, which it did.

Attachments
Screenshot 2018-12-19 at 9.45.07 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-19 at 9.45.07 AM.png (10 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Eusebiu

Hi,

Did you rebuild your packages and the patch after setting the "Always overwrite existing files" option? Is the size of the patch package still small? If so, can you please send me the two .AIPs (the old version and the new version), the Patch project and a verbose log of the patch installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate them?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
ElijahZAwesome

Well... I think I may have realized the problem. I would have to enable "Always Overwrite" on the upgraded version of the program... I was only doing it on the original version. I guess i'm blind :P

Sorry for the bother. Now I just have to see why the patch removed the program from control panel :?
Daniel

Thank you for your follow up on this.

We are glad you got this sorted out.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”