jes

Error while installing patch

Hi,

I need to create a patch. Inside that, I have some small updation of dll files is there. I usually use exe setups. Is there is any way in which we can use exe setups instead of msi setups to create patch in advanced installer? Also can we create a patch which is an exe setup?

I created patch by looking into advanced installer tutorial by creating upgrade msi and target msi and given for patch creation. While installing patch there comes an error. I have attached that error screenshot below. Will you please check and reply.

Thanks,
Jes.
jes

Re: Error while installing patch

hi,
I have attached the screenshot with this.

thanks,
jes.
Attachments
forum.png
forum.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Eusebiu

Hi Jes,
Is there is any way in which we can use exe setups instead of msi setups to create patch in advanced installer?
I'm afraid not, a patch can only be created based on MSI packages. If you have EXE setups, you need to first extract the MSI packages from them using the "/extract" command line.
Also can we create a patch which is an exe setup?
Yes, you can select the "Use EXE" option from the "Builds" page, "Bootstrapper" tab of the patch project.
I created patch by looking into advanced installer tutorial by creating upgrade msi and target msi and given for patch creation. While installing patch there comes an error. I have attached that error screenshot below. Will you please check and reply.
Your problem is similar to the one discussed on the "Patch created but won't install" thread which also comes with a solution.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jes

Hi,
I tried the below method.
However, in order to avoid this behavior you can build your target installation package as an EXE package type and enable (in the target installation project) the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option from "Builds -> Configuration tab -> Bootstrapper Options" group.
Then I created exe setups for both target and upgraded. Then I extracted the msi files from that exe files. After that given to batch creation. But the same error is coming. Along with that some package errors are coming.
From it is clear that the error is for some bat and vbs files I created, which is working properly and essential for the working of the machine. That file doesn't have any errors too. Is there is any problem for the patch creation with these files?

Thanks & Regards,
Jes
Eusebiu

Hi Jes,

Do you still get the same error you posted above when you try to install your patch? Can you please send me the patch creation build log to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate it?

I'm afraid that I cannot understand the details you mentioned about the batch and the vbs files and how they can influence this. Do they cause any error?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”