davidjpp

Identity Library Key gets changes to symbols

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:49 am

I am using the Trial.dll for my VSTO add-in, and every time I re-open AI application, the generated Library Key has been mysteriously changed from a series of numbers into a series of symbols and Chinese characters!
This means that I have to generate a new Library Key each time, and put it into my C# code. Is this how it is supposed to work?
AI Library Key Issue.png
Library Key changes
AI Library Key Issue.png (33.2KiB)Viewed 2627 times
David J Parker,
Microsoft MVP (Visio)
blog.bvisual.net

Daniel

Re: Identity Library Key gets changes to symbols

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello David and welcome to our forums,

No this is not our implementation and it looks like an issue of our application.

We already got the same issue reported by another customer but unfortunately we weren't able to replicate the issue on our side too so we can further investigate this.

Could you share with us by email your solution (the SLN file and all the project files included in the solution - without their source code) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

If you cannot share with us your project file, then you can try to isolate the behavior in a small buildable sample which we can build and test on our side. Also any test case you may be able to isolate for this issue will be useful too.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

davidjpp

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm

Today AI opened with a previous Library Key OK, and I made a couple of builds, then closed it. I committed my code in VS 2017, used GitKraken to push the code to the server. When I re-opened AI, the Library Key was corrupt again. Could this process be related to the issue?

I also use the Microsoft Visio Solution Publishing Too :
The Microsoft® Visio® Solution Publishing tool generates entries for the PublishComponent table, one of several database tables that are stored in a Microsoft Windows® Installer .msi file. Windows Installer, which is available as part of Windows, is used to write installation programs that can be configured during setup or at run time. The PublishComponent table in an .msi file contains a list of files that are published to an end user's computer when your application is installed. For more information about Windows Installer and the PublishComponent table, see the Windows Installer Software Development Kit (SDK) on MSDN®, the Microsoft Developer Network.
The Solution Publishing tool works with Windows Installer to help you add Visio-specific entries, such as Visio add-ons (.vsl and .exe files), stencils (.vssx, .vssm, .vsx, and .vsx files), templates (.vstx, .vstm, .vst, and .vtx files), and Help files (.chm files) to the PublishComponent table of the .msi file that you create to install your solution on your users' computers. The Solution Publishing tool is not designed to be an .msi file editor. It requires that you edit an existing .msi file that already contains a PublishComponent table that you can use to add information about the Visio files that you want to publish. The Solution Publishing tool works with Windows Installer version 2.0 and later.
You can save files that you create in the Solution Publishing tool as Visio Solution Publishing Configuration (.vpc) files.
David J Parker,
Microsoft MVP (Visio)
blog.bvisual.net

Daniel

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello David,

Thank you for your follow up on this.

I talked with our development team and they said is quite improbably that the behavior be generated either by GitKraken or by Microsoft Visio Solution Publishing Tool.

The most useful thing for us in this case will be a small sample or a pattern replicating the behavior. So if you manage to isolate a pattern that applied on a working setup project leads to a corrupted library project, this will be great.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”