it_master

Re: Another version of this product is already installed (EXE file)

Catalin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:00 pm Hello Amin,

Yes, I have received the e-mail. As for this moment, this is still under investigation, please give me some more time and as soon as I will come to a conclusion, I will let you know.

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

Its taking too much time
Catalin

Hello Amin,

I have tested this and indeed, I was able to reproduce the scenario. However, I have few questions:

- how are the updates managed? After having a look over your sent project, I could notice that you do not use our support for the updater.

- after the "update" is done, I have went to the location where the application is installed and, upon double clicking on it, the setup was launched in Maintenance mode. This means that instead of the application, you have copied the setup instead.

- are both setups created by you (i.e. 1.9.4.1 and 1.9.4.2)? If yes, please forward me the .AIP file that was used to build the 1.9.4.1 version of the setup by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
it_master

Catalin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm Hello Amin,

I have tested this and indeed, I was able to reproduce the scenario. However, I have few questions:

- how are the updates managed? After having a look over your sent project, I could notice that you do not use our support for the updater.

- after the "update" is done, I have went to the location where the application is installed and, upon double clicking on it, the setup was launched in Maintenance mode. This means that instead of the application, you have copied the setup instead.

- are both setups created by you (i.e. 1.9.4.1 and 1.9.4.2)? If yes, please forward me the .AIP file that was used to build the 1.9.4.1 version of the setup by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this.

All the best,
Catalin
Hello,

- What do you mean exactly? Also, what do you mean by "you do not use our support for the updater"?

- Yes, the problem is when an update is done, you will get the main installer which is 10MB, while the application is about 4MB. I dont know why!

- Yes, both created by me but it seems I have only new version because I have overwritten it with old ver. and I just emailed to you. Please check. I also sent all files to make installation (exe) file.
it_master

Catalin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm Hello Amin,

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

Any update?
Catalin

Hello Amin,

I have further investigated this and it seems that your updater functionality downloads the setup in the same folder as the application folder (where your application resides). Since both the setup and the application have the same name, upon downloading the setup from the website, the setup will overwrite the application. This is why:

- when you click "Run", the Windows Explorer is opened instead of running the application.

- when you go to your application folder and click on it, it launches the setup in Maintenance mode.

With that being said, you should modify the updater behavior to download the setup in a different location (any other location other than the application folder).

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

Catalin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm Hello Amin,

I have further investigated this and it seems that your updater functionality downloads the setup in the same folder as the application folder (where your application resides). Since both the setup and the application have the same name, upon downloading the setup from the website, the setup will overwrite the application. This is why:

- when you click "Run", the Windows Explorer is opened instead of running the application.

- when you go to your application folder and click on it, it launches the setup in Maintenance mode.

With that being said, you should modify the updater behavior to download the setup in a different location (any other location other than the application folder).

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

=========================================================
you should modify the updater behavior to download the setup in a different location (any other location other than the application folder
=========================================================
How can I do this with the Advanced Installer?
Catalin

Hello Amin,

From what I could see, you are not using our Updater. Unfortunately, I can not help you configure the functionality of your own updater.

If you are not the owner of the updater tool, please contact the developer who created it and most probably he will be able to help you configure it to download the updates in a different location.

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

Catalin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:03 pm Hello Amin,

From what I could see, you are not using our Updater. Unfortunately, I can not help you configure the functionality of your own updater.

If you are not the owner of the updater tool, please contact the developer who created it and most probably he will be able to help you configure it to download the updates in a different location.

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

What is your updater? Where can I get that?
Catalin

Hello Amin,

Advanced Updater is an executable tool whose roles are to check for updates, inform the user of their presence and offer to download and install them. After launching the Updater, it checks if a newer version of the application exists by using a predefined rule. For more information about this, you can have a look on our "Using the Updater" article.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”