marko_raatikainen

Desktop icon is missing after reboot

Hello,

our installer adds a desktop icon, which usually works just fine. There's been a few people who have reported that this icon disappears after they reboot their computer. Unfortunately they have not been able to reproduce this in a reliable fashion. It happens every now and then and we don't know exactly how. Apparently the icon has been stored under a folder in %systemroot%\Installer that no longer exists.

I found a few older posts that were reporting similar problems:
viewtopic.php?t=21158
viewtopic.php?t=23229
viewtopic.php?t=27842

Those posts do not seem to come to conclusions on what should be done (except that it could be caused by corrupted Windows Installer cache, I'm not sure if that is likely, as this has happened at least to two users in different computers). Do you have any recommendations or new information on the topic?

Thanks,

-Marko

P.S. We are using Advanced Installer 15.0 and we build the installer only for Windows 10.
Daniel

Re: Desktop icon is missing after reboot

Hello Marko and welcome to our forums,

I am afraid we have never been able to find a resolution for this issue. This seems to be an unknown Windows Installer icon cache issue which we never found an explanation or a root cause for. It seems sometimes the shortcut cached icon is lost and from what we found the only way to recover it is by triggering a repair.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
marko_raatikainen

Hi Daniel,

and thanks for letting me know. It is just something that we will have to live with then.

-Marko
Daniel

You are always welcome Marko.

Yes unfortunately we have no workaround for this.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
harshal119

Is there any solution to this problem. I am getting blank shortcut icon
Catalin

Hello,

As my colleague Daniel mentioned above, unfortunately, we were not able to find what causes this issue or a resolution for it.

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”