abowlin

Importing Failure

Upon attempting to import my Visual Studio 2017 project, I get an error. See below.

Exception calling "LoadProject" with "1" argument(s): "The tools version "15.0" is unrecognized. Available tools versions are "2.0", "3.5", "4.0".

This error only started occurring when Advanced Installer updated to version 15.7. I am currently using the freeware version of the software. What causes this issue and if I purchase the professional version of the software, will this issue no longer exist?
Catalin

Re: Importing Failure

Hello Anthony,

This is still under investigation on our side. As soon as I will come to a conclusion, I will let you know.

Also, if possible, could you please send us, by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com, the Visual Studio 2017 project which replicates this error? If that is not possible, could you please send us a sample VS2017 project which replicates the behavior?

Also, does this reproduce only on your main project, or with all the projects that you are trying to import?

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
abowlin

Hello Catalin,

I followed your instructions and sent an email containing the required information to the advanced installer support email.

Thank you for your time,
Anthony
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

First of all, thanks for the sent files.

I have tested this (by creating a "Visual Studio Application") project, but the behavior did not reproduce.

Can you please make sure that the Visual Studio 2017 is installed on the machine where you are testing this?

Also, is this reproducible with all the projects that you create and then try to import them in Advanced Installer?

All the best,
Catalin
abowlin

Hello Catalin,

Visual Studio 2017 is installed on the same machine as Advanced Installer 15.7. I have attempted to import various projects and they are all failing to import. I also attempted to change the projects .net framework, which did not resolved the issue. For troubleshooting purposes, Visual Studio 2017 was uninstalled/reinstalled and the issue was not resolved. Additionally, Advanced Installer 15.7 was uninstalled/reinstalled and the issue was not resolved.

Installer projects that were existing before the 15.6-15.7 update still work and create working .msi files, but no new installer projects can be made. I attempted to create a new advanced installer project using a program that imported correctly before the 15.7 update and the import failed. Please let me know when you find a possible solution, this is a major inconvenience. Additionally, I cannot physically fix the issue by installing Advanced Installer 15.6 because it is not available on your website..

Anthony
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to give me these details.

Please verify your e-mail as I have answered you there.

All the best,
Catalin
abowlin

Hello Catalin,

Has any progress been made in solving the importing failure issue in Advanced Installer 15.7? Being a user who has paid for a professional license, I would like to use the newest version of your software.

Thanks
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

Have you tested the import function with our latest version of Advanced Installer - 15.8?

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

If not, could you please download and test the import of your solutions with it?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin
abowlin

Hello Catalin,

I have attempted to use Advanced Installer (AI) 15.8 and the importing failure occurred.

To summarize, all project importing tests have used the same visual studio project and the results are below.
- Advanced Installer 15.6 Works Properly
- Advanced Installer 15.7 has Importing Failure
- Advanced Installer 15.8 has Importing Failure

I am confident that the project is not causing the problem because it works perfectly in AI 15.6. I am hoping to use the newest software version soon, while the 6-month maintenance plan is still valid. Please let me know when a solution has been found.

Thanks,
Anthony
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

Please check your e-mail as I have sent you a download link of an RC version in which the issue of importing a Visual Studio solution where VS2015 and VS2017 were installed side by side on the same machine is fixed.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
abowlin

Hello Catalin,

I installed the RC version and the importing failure still occurred. To be thorough, I immediately attempted to import the same project into Advanced Installer 15.6 and it was imported successfully. Please continue to keep me updated as potential solutions arise.

Thanks,
Anthony
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

I am sorry to hear it did not work.

We will continue our investigations and will let you know anytime we get any updates on this issue.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”