tmccarthy9

"Error in parsing the app package" after MSIX conversion

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I am trying out Advanced Installer to convert our product to MSIX, since I am running into issues with the Packaging Tool that Microsoft offers. We have a large product with many components. Previously, I have successfully gotten an MSIX using the Advanced Repackager -> Advanced Installer workflow. Unfortunately, when I try to capture the install of all of our components (first and third party), the MSIX always seems to be invalid.

Here are my symptoms:
When the digital signature option is checked, signtool fails during MSIX creation process as follows:
SignTool Error: This file format cannot be signed because it is not recognized.
SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign: x.msix

If I deselect signing through Advanced Installer, the MSIX seemingly creates successfully. However, I cannot sign it manually with signtool (same error). Additionally, when trying to double-click it to "install" it (expecting to see the "cannot install unsigned package" error), I do not get that error, instead I get "Error in parsing the app package."

It seems that the tool is creating an invalid MSIX package for me. This thread (viewtopic.php?t=34376) seems to be similar, but I am using the latest version (15.7).

When I try to reopen the invalid MSIX in Advanced Installer, I get the following error:
"Parse error in file: "C:\Users\admin\Desktop\x.msix" at line: [1] column: [2] (code: not well-formed (invalid token))

At one point, I used 7-zip to extract the MSIX and got some errors on specific files. I deleted those and now 7-zip is happy, but not Windows.

Are there any ideas or suggestions? The generated MSIX file is 9.11GB if this is relevant. Thank you!

tmccarthy9

Re: "Error in parsing the app package" after MSIX conversion

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 pm

I realized the Microsoft Store may be able to help out with a better error. I tried uploading the invalid MSIX as a Submission, and got the following error:
Package acceptance validation error: APPX_E_INVALID_BLOCKMAP - The package's block map is invalid. The package must be created with a valid app packager.

Catalin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am

Hello Tommy and welcome to our forums,

First of all, I apologize for the late reply.

I am not sure why you are encountering such a behavior. In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following:

- a download link for the setup that you are trying to convert to MSIX

- the .AIP file resulted after the conversion

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tmccarthy9

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi Catalin,

I have finally determined which particular component of ours is causing the conversion to fail. Unfortunately, it is not included in our currently available releases, so I can't share a link to an install yet. There's a chance it's due to being in development and hopefully will be fixed before it is released as a preview. If I continue to see the issue when there's a public beta available I will certainly be happy to share!

Thanks,
Tommy

Catalin

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your followup on this. I am glad you found the possible culprit. Hope things will be fine after the development process is done.

All the best,
Catalin

madsamuel

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:13 am

I got the same error due to me importing an Appx file. Had to delete the resource.pri, appx*.xml, and Codeintegirty under the folder AppxMetadata

Catalin

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Hello Samuel and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us!

Is everything working as expected now? If not, please give us some further details so we can try to assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

madsamuel

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:21 am

Yep, all good. Hit it on another package. Did the same. The important thing to remembers is to remove it from the Files tab in Advanced Installer

Catalin

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Hello Samuel,

I am glad to hear everything works as expected!

If you encounter any issues, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”