AntoneF

CancelDlg doesn't appear to work right in /qr

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am

If the user is running in reduced UI mode(/qr), adding an "Execute custom action" call to the Yes button in CancelDlg will cause the button to fail to close CancelDlg, fail to progress to UserExit, and cause the install in ProgressDlg to resume as if the user had pressed "No".

Setting aside all of that, what I need is a way to bring up the UserExit Dialog when running in /qr. What controls which dialogs appear in /qr and which don't?

Catalin

Re: CancelDlg doesn't appear to work right in /qr

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello Antone,
If the user is running in reduced UI mode(/qr), adding an "Execute custom action" call to the Yes button in CancelDlg will cause the button to fail to close CancelDlg, fail to progress to UserExit, and cause the install in ProgressDlg to resume as if the user had pressed "No".
This is a strange behavior, indeed. I was able to reproduce this on our end, but unfortunately it reproduces sporadically. This is still under investigation on our end since we have not yet came to a conclusion on this.
Setting aside all of that, what I need is a way to bring up the UserExit Dialog when running in /qr. What controls which dialogs appear in /qr and which don't?
This is the default behavior of the Windows Installer technology. When running a setup with Reduced UI, only the modeless dialog boxes that have been authored into the UI will be displayed (e.g. Error Dialog boxes, Disk Prompt messages, FilesInUse Dialog boxes). I am afraid this behavior can not be changed.

Will come back to this thread as soon as I will have a conclusion on why the first issue occurs.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

Hello Antone,

Could you please forward me the scenario that you are using? For example, what custom action are you using that triggers such a behavior? For instance, if you are using a LaunchFile custom action, what is the file that you are trying to launch?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin

AntoneF

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the reply. I have triggered this behavior when calling a C# .DLL custom action, an inline Powershell custom action, and an inline .VBScript custom action from a publish event on the "Yes" button of CancelDlg. Let me know if you need specifics about any of the custom action. It is worth noting that for the case of the inline ones, I have gotten the behavior to occur with an empty/default custom action. So it doesn't seem likely to be the result of some specific behavior in the custom action itself.

Thanks,
Antone

Catalin

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Hello Antone,

I have tested the given scenarios but unfortunately I could not reproduce it the behavior.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

If that is not possible, could you please create a sample project which reproduces the behavior (it does not have to contain any files, it is enough to reproduce the behavior) and send it at the above specified e-mail address?

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”