TheFunk35

SOLVED: Troubleshooting Java Service Wrapper Issues

Hello!

I'm attempting to use Advanced Installer Enterprise to create a service from a Java Jar File. I have done this in the past with Tanuki Service Wrapper. I'm assuming Advanced Installer does something similar for Java applications. I followed the tutorial here: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... rvice.html

I am able to run the jar by itself within the program files directory, and my service registers successfully, however I cannot seem to get the service to start. When attempting to run the service I receive:

Error 1053 the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Is there a way I can better troubleshoot this issue?
Last edited by TheFunk35 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalin

Re: Troubleshooting Java Service Wrapper Issues

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I am not sure what exactly causes such a behavior, but from what you say (that you were able to manually create an start the service), it sounds like a misconfiguration in your project to me.

In order for me to have a better view about this, could you please forward me the following:

- the .AIP file
- a verbose log of the installation process

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TheFunk35

Hi Catalin,

I'm actually not able to start the service, however the installer will install the service. I managed to figure out part of the issue. The Java project I am trying to turn into a service requires a specific JRE. I've now updated the project to bundle the correct JRE (10.0.2).

If I just run my JAR file (outside of the service wrapper) the process runs as a daemon as expected and works fine. Running the EXE wrapper generated by AdvancedInstaller however results in the process terminating. After fixing the JRE issue mentioned above, according to the Windows Service manager, my issue when I try to start the service, is now:

1067 Process Terminated Unexpectedly

Is there any good log that the Java service wrapper keeps for when the EXE fails to execute correctly?
TheFunk35

Hi there! I was able to resolve my issue! The service was not running with sufficient privileges. I escalated the privileges under the service section so that the program would be run as administrator and the crashes stopped! :)

I will mark the topic solved!
Catalin

Re: SOLVED: Troubleshooting Java Service Wrapper Issues

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this. I am glad you solved the problem.

Just let us know anytime you have a question.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”