Thomas

new user questions: shortcut links and more

Hi!

First of all, I am new to Advanced installer and I realy like the easy to go interface. But as there is not even a short manual, I do have some questions:

1. How can I create a shortcut in any folder? I have used the context menu in the "Application Folder" to create a shortcut in "Application Shortcut Folder", but I did not manage to make a shortcut to "Desktop" or "Start Menu/Programms/[Programname]".

2. What is the difference between "Application Shortcut Folder" and "Start Menu/Programs" folder? And what is the difference between "Application Folder" and "Programm Files"?

3. Is it possible to create MSI files with languages other than English? I do not have problems with the english UI of your program, but I would like to provide a german version of the installation for users of my program. Or does this depend on the installed version of Microsoft's Installer package? (to be sure: I would like to have "Welcome to ... Wizard" and "Click the Finish button" and other texts that appear during installation of my program to be translated)

4. Where is the GUID? I did not find an information about what GUID is used to identify the installed programm, so that updated version of my programm will replace old versions.

5. When running the created MSI file a second time, the "Modify" option allows to choose "Main feature". Is there a way to define these features?

Ok, thats all for now. Thanks for your software, it is a nice little tool which provides great help!
Cata

Hi Thomas,

A manual will be written at some point, but until 1.0, features are still our main concern. So, the answers:

1) Sorry, you can't.

2) Application Folder uses an MSI property to point to where your program's files will go (right now defaulted to [ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]). The benefit over simply placing your files in the Program Files folder is that this MSI property is scriptable at runtime (when the MSI package is run). This way, the user can click and change the destination folder of the installation.

Same for the Application Shortcut Folder vs. Start Menu/Programs folder: an MSI property pointing to [ProgramMenuFolder][ProductName] which can be changed when running the package with a "Choose Program Group" dialog.

3) No, sorry.

4) The GUIDs are not exposed, since we didn't find a reason to do so. If you need the updated version of the program to replace the old versions, simply check the "Automatically upgrade older versions" option in Install Parameters. Also, click YES when asked to generate a new Product Code after incrementing the program version.

5) Not yet.

Thanks,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”