NovAtel

Updates in Kiosk Mode

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello,

I have an Advanced Installer project that consists of a UWP app and an updater (with a shortcut to the updater). The shortcut to the updater runs with the following command line:

""C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Manufacturing Automation\Manufacturing Automation Launcher\updater.exe" /silentall -reducedgui -restartapp shell:AppsFolder\15A9C29B-CCDB-4F82-A4C9-7A0AC9C50A46_kw166zztpf8yc!App"

This checks for updates from my server and then launches my UWP app. This is stable and working great. However, I would like to run the install package on PCs running as a Windows Multi-App Kiosk. In order to do this I need to know the full path for any application I allow to run on the PCs, so I can add it to the provisioning package. When I run the shortcut and don't pull any updates, the updater runs from the following path:

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Manufacturing Automation\Manufacturing Automation Executor\updater.exe"

When I run the shortcut and download updates from the server, the updater runs from a sub folder in the temp directory during install:

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\.....\updater.exe"

The sub folder is the same for some of the PCs I run this on, but different for others. If I add this path to my provisioning package then updating works, but if it is not included then these PCs cannot update the UWP app. Is there a way to configure this folder?

Thanks.
Attachments
UpdaterExeWithUpdates.png
UpdaterExeWithUpdates.png (9.88KiB)Viewed 2519 times
UpdaterExeWithoutUpdates.png
UpdaterExeWithoutUpdates.png (12.2KiB)Viewed 2519 times

Eusebiu

Re: Updates in Kiosk Mode

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

First of all, please keep in mind that the Advanced Updater is not designed to support UWP application updates because of the restrictions an UWP application imposes. The Advanced Updater only supports the migration from a MSI-based application to a UWP application. The Operating System has predefined support for the UWP application updates.

Secondly, to answer your question, when some updates are found, the Updater is automatically copied in a %temp% sub-folder in order to avoid the "file in use" error during the upgrade process. The name of that sub-folder is computed by applying a MD5 hash over the original path of the Updater. In your example it will be computed as follows:

Code: Select all

MD5(C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Manufacturing Automation\Manufacturing Automation Executor\updater.exe)
If you have other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”