brian.webb

CAB Source file not found

Hello.

Recently 4 of our test machines (mixture of Windows 10, Windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit, all have admin access when running) have been unable to install or update. We have an exe that extracts the CAB file and MSI. We get the following error:

Source file not found: [big path and filename].cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

After the files are extracted there are two files, an aiph and our msi file. The aiph file is exactly the same size as our cab file but there's no digital signature. On other machines it is indeed the cab file and msi file. I'm guessing that since it has an extension of .ai this is some sort of temporary file that AI creates? It seems like it's unable to transform this into our cab file?

Fortunately none of our end-users are experiencing this (yet) but we're wanting to get to the bottom of it in case they do.

The log file from our exe isn't very helpful, doesn't show much detail.

Any insights as to what's happening here and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Brian
Catalin

Re: CAB Source file not found

Hello Brian and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Please have a look on the following "Source file not found error" which debates a similar (if not the same) problem.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
brian.webb

Hello and thanks Catalin.

Yes, I saw that post but it's not the same and doesn't help. Their doesn't even extract. Ours extracts but is some sort of intermediate aiph file. Also, their post occurs on all installations, ours only occurs on a few machines and has been working flawlessly for a long time (literally 5 years).

Can you give us any insight into what this intermediate aiph file is and why it's not being converted to a cab file?
  • We don't have any virus scanners on any of these computers.
  • The issue happens both on initial install as well as upgrade from an older version.
  • If I /extract the exe file the cab file is there. I can run the msi it installs fine, but this doesn't permanently repair it. The issue still exists with uninstall/reinstall of using the exe as some odd aiph file is there.
B
Catalin

Hello Brian,

Can you please try to set the "ExtractFilesFirst" property to "1" in "Install Parameters" page, rebuild the project and see if that helps?

If that does not help, could you please forward me, by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com the following:

- the .AIP file

- a verbose log of the installation process

- a download link of the setup

so I can try to replicate and further investigate this behavior on our end?

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”