tscheuerman

Error - A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.

When I run my installer I am getting the following error...

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

In the installation log this error appears at line #3215. I've attached a copy of the error log. The custom action that is attempting to be run is named LaunchFile_TomcatInstall. The intent of this action is to start a Tomcat Service. I've looked into the Tomcat logs and have confirmed that the service has been installed successfully and there is no indication of any Tomcat related error.

I've also attached a copy of the Advanced Installer project.

I am attempting to run the installer on a Windows 10 machine and am using Advanced Installer version #14.8 build 281f49a4fb. I understand that there is a newer version available but I am unable to upgrade to the new version at this time.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Attachments
screen shot 1.png
screen shot 1.png (226.8 KiB) Viewed 9580 times
advanced installer log file.txt
(543.71 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
CareWebQI Server 11.00.aip
(183.68 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Daniel

Re: Error - A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.

Hello,

From what i see in the log file there is the "LaunchFile_TomcatStart" custom action which fails during installation process. Also, looking over your project settings it seems this custom action uses a quite odd command line: startstart

Can you please go to "Custom Actions" page of your setup project, select your "LaunchFile_TomcatStart" action and double check in the right pane its "Command line" field? I think it should be simply set to start command value.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tscheuerman

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, after I had submitted this issue I had identified the "startstart" issue. After correcting the issue I am still encountering the same reported issue in the LaunchFile_TomcatStart custom action. My suspect that something Tomcat related is preventing the service from starting but an not seeing any error written in either the Tomcat error log or the Installer log.

Todd
Daniel

Hello Todd,

Can you also disable the "Run as administrator" option of your "LaunchFile_TomcatStart" custom action, rebuild the setup package and run another try?

If this still doesn't work, here is what you can try to troubleshoot this:

1. add a message box custom action just before the "LaunchFile_TomcatStart" action into your setup package
2. rebuild and launch the setup package
3. when the message box custom action is triggered do not dispose it (just leave it on the screen to hold on the installation progress)
4. open a CMD console under LocalSystem account and manually launch the related cwqi11.exe file with the start command and see how it goes

Hopefully this helps.

All the best,
Daniel
tscheuerman

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. I actually figured at what was causing the issue. On the machine that the Installer was running on, there was already an Environment variable( CATALINA_HOME) that was pointing to the wrong location. I updated the Advanced Installer project to create/update the CATALINA_HOME Environment variable and this resolved the issue.

Thanks,
Todd
Daniel

You are always welcome Todd.

I am glad you solved this out.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”