DHeinzBMGF

Re-packaged MSI - Unable to uninstall

The msi that I have re-packaged and installed is not allowing me to uninstall in Programs and Features. I have verified that the following are selected/not selected;

- Register product with Windows Installer (Selected)
- Disable Modify, Disable Repair and Disable Remove (Not selected)

Any assitancy would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Eusebiu

Re: Re-packaged MSI - Unable to uninstall

Hi,

The log file that you sent us over the email shows that your "PowerShellScriptInline" custom action fails during the uninstallation of your package.

As far as I understand, that custom action tries to uninstall another package, but it fails with the "1618" return code. This code means that another installation is already in progress. So, most likely, the uninstallation of your package conflicts with the uninstallation that your custom action tries to perform.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
DHeinzBMGF

The MSI does the following

Closed Microsoft Outlook
Uninstalls PhishAlarm
Pauses 20 seconds
Install new version of PhishAlarm

Verified results;

I am able to verify that
Outlook closes
previous version of PhishAlarm uninstalls
New version installs

When I attempt to uninstall using Windows 10 Programs & Feature the Advanced Installer wizard is displayed and the application fails to uninstall (see attached log and project file). In order to uninstall I need to run Microsoft's "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed" tool.
Attachments
PhishAlarm Outlook Add-In.aip
Project File
(70.08 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
MSIbc4e7.LOG
Verbose log file
(244.35 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Eusebiu

Hi,

As I explained, the uninstall fails because the "PowerShellScriptInline" custom action tries to perform another uninstall during the uninstallation of your package which is not allowed by Windows Installer.

In order to avoid this, you can try to place that custom action after the "Finish Execution" action group and uncheck the "Wait for custom action to finish before proceeding" and "Wait for return code at the end of the sequence" options for it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”