janisito

.NET Core IIS Hosting

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:59 am

Hi,

My installer installs .NET Framework 4.7.2 as a pre-install and also sets up Windows Server Roles and Features. Now I also need to add .NET Core IIS Hosting. But this package requires that the IIS is already set up before installing. Adding .NET Core IIS Hosting to Pre-Install will not work, instead I need to run this installer package after Roles and Services have been set up. But, when does this happen?

In short, at what point should I run the .NET Core IIS Hosting package from?
NET Core Hosting.png
.NET Core Hosting
NET Core Hosting.png (15.12KiB)Viewed 3313 times
Thanks!

Regards
Jan

Catalin

Re: .NET Core IIS Hosting

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello Jan,

The action that takes care of configuring (in your case) the IIS takes place right after the "InstallInitialize" standard action (the custom action is called "AI_WinOptFeaturesInstall" and its sequence is 1501). With that being said, by having your .NET Core IIS Hosting 2.1.5 prerequisite as a post install prerequisite should do the job, since post install prerequisites are actually feature-based prerequisites which are launched after your main installation.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

janisito

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Catalin,

World class support as always. Thanks! A follow up on this. If I need to restart the IIS (I have a custom action for it) after .NET Core Hosting has been finished installing at what point would I invoke that CA?

Catalin

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am

Hello Jan,

You are always welcome, Jan. Glad I could help.

When a post-install prerequisite is launched for execution, it is launched asynchronously (the main installation process does not wait for it to end, due to the fact that 2 installation processes can not run at the same time). With that being said, it means that the main installation process ends before the post-install prerequisite is even installed, which makes it hard (actually impossible) to schedule a custom action after the post-install prerequisite was installed.

However, there is a little trick which you can use to achieve what you want. The action that launches the post-install prerequisites is called "AI_LaunchChainer". This action simply launches a little EXE which deploys post-install prerequisites one by one, in the order specified in the "Prerequisites" page. So here is my solution to your problem: you can create a dummy project in which you will have only your custom action. You can build this project and add the resulted MSI as a post-install prerequisite in your main package, scheduled after the installation of your .NET Core Hosting.

Here are few configuration settings to make your dummy prerequisite "nonexistent":

- in the dummy prerequisite project, please go to "Product Details" page and untick the "Register product with Windows Installer" option. This way, the prerequisite will not appear in Control Panel.

- in the main project, please fill all the prerequisite command line fields ("Prerequisites" page --> click on your dummy prerequisite" --> "Setup Files" tab --> "Install Command Lines") with "/qn", so the prerequisite will be run silently.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin

janisito

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Top of the line! Your suggestion worked very well. Thank you once again!

Regards
Jan

Catalin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 am

You are always welcome, Jan.

I am glad I could help.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”