sjeslis

Launch Installed File Custom Action Working Directory Broken In 15.8

In 15.5.1 we had an "Launch installed file" that ran as part of the Exit button on last installer screen.

a) the documentation on this is way out of date. A lot of the fields mentioned in the documentation no longer exist on that CA screen (see attached)
Launc_Installed_File.jpg
Launc_Installed_File.jpg (143.89 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
b) in 15.5.1 the "working directory" seemed to be implied to be wherever the installed file was launched from. In 15.8 it appears "working directory" is now "C:\Windows\System32" and there is no longer anyway to set a "working directory".

In the interim I'm going to change this in my install to a "Launch EXE with working directory".
Scott Jeslis
Senior Software Engineer
Cicero, Inc.
Daniel

Re: Launch Installed File Custom Action Working Directory Broken In 15.8

Hello Scott,

a) Please note that the help section you are referring to is the one for the "Launch file" custom action type. Here it is quote the whole help description for our "Launch installed file" custom action:
This custom action is an application (EXE or DLL) or a script (VB or Javascript) included in the MSI package. It behaves as an attached custom action, but it must be scheduled after the files have been deployed on the target computer.
This custom action is built on standard custom actions (type 17, type 18, type 21 and type 22) offered by Windows Installer service , and from what I know I am afraid for this custom action types you cannot configure a working directory.

b) I have tested the scenario but in both cases (using AI 15.5.1 or 15.8) the working directory was set to "C:\Windows\System32". Could you share with us a small sample which we can use to fully test and investigate this or a more detailed test case?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”