Bleile Datentechnik

Webinstaller failes to download chained .msi

We have created a webinstaller setup for a software product. One of the files which should be downloaded during the installation is the uninstaller for another Software product. In the Advanced Installer project, this was added as chained msi. After successfully building the project, we have four files at our hands:
- the .msi which is supposed to uninstall the other software product
- the actual webinstaller executable
- the .msi of the software to be installed
- the .cab file containing resources

We uploaded all the files (except webinstaller executable) to the storage as specified in the Advanced Installer project. After starting the webinstaller setup it failes after some time with an error. We analyzed the log file (created by using the /LIME option) and it seems that the chained .msi cannot be downloaded due to the link being invalid. For some reason a backslash is added prior to the .msi's name which should be downloaded.

This is the link as taken from the logfile (also some non ascii characters which might not be displayed correctly):

Code: Select all

Property(S): AI_CHAINER_CMD_LINE = Ihttps://XXX.YYY.com/hgscom/1.x.x.x/\gmportal_uninstaller_setup.msiNV21784Chainer
What the link should be is:

Code: Select all

https://XXX.YYY.com/hgscom/1.x.x.x/gmportal_uninstaller_setup.msi
What is the root cause for this behaviour? Any advice how to fix this?

Thanks,

Oliver

Advanced Installer 15.8
Windows 7
Windows installer (msi.dll) is version 5.0.7601.24407
Catalin

Re: Webinstaller failes to download chained .msi

Hello Oliver,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply, but we were quite busy lately.

In what regards the issue that you are facing, this is indeed a strange behavior. Unfortunately, I can not tell what the root behavior is until I investigate this. So, in order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following:

- the .AIP file for the web-installer project.

- the .AIP file for the setup that is going to be installed (if it was created with Advanced Installer).

- a download link for the following:

1. web-installer setup
2. the msi that should be installed (together with the .cab file if the .cab file is placed outside of the .msi file)
3. the uninstaller

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

If you can not share these resources with me, could you please try to create a sample project which I can use to replicate this behavior on our end (it does not have to contain any files as long as the behavior still persists)?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”