Can I install a font with AI

I am new to doing installations, and I can't find any reference to this.

I want to check that a specific font is installed, and, if necessary, install it.

How do I do this?
Do I need a specific version of AI to do this?

Thanks in advance
Cata

Just add the font file to the "Windows Volume\Windows\Folders" directory.

Is there anything else you need to do to install a font?

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
johnnawrocki@hcic.com

Fonts

Cata,

I do not have Windows Volume\Windows\Folders I do have Windows Volume\Windows\Fonts. If I have a font to install in this directory it apears to get copied to the \windows\Fonts directory but it is not available to the program being installed until it is accessed by another application such as Windows Explorer or Word. Is there something else necessary to register the font?

Rgds,
John
UdreaMihai

Hello,

Yes, it is. Windows Installer can register a font. In order to do this you must add a table to your *.msi project. Edit your *.msi file with ORCA, and add the "Font" table by pressing CTRL+T and then selecting Font. Then you must fill the first column of the field with the name of the file that contains the font. Check Platform SDK Documentation for more information.

Best,

Mihai
Udrea Mihai
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Andy

how to install and register fonts

Would this work, using "ASDF.OTF" as an example?

1. manually install asdf.otf using the Font control panel

2. open regedt32.exe, then search for asdf.otf

3. in Advanced Installer, under Registry, duplicate the following structure:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\

4. Create the following key
"Asdf (yadda yadda)"="ASDF.OTF"

5. Install the font "ASDF.OTF" file under "Files and Folders" into Windows Volume\Windows\Fonts

6. Manually remove the font from the fonts control panel

7. restart to clear the pipes

8. test to make sure asdf.otf is not loaded

9. build and run your installer

10. check again that your fonts are installed. should be?

I would think this would make the fonts you install available to all applications.

Alternatively, what if you check the "Register this file (DLL, OCK, etc)" checkbox on the font file itself (within Advanced Installer)[/quote]
rdieter@math.unl.edu

font registration in AdvancedInstaller?

UdreaMihai wrote:Hello,

Yes, it is. Windows Installer can register a font. In order to do this you must add a table to your *.msi project. Edit your *.msi file with ORCA, and add the "Font" table by pressing CTRL+T and then selecting Font. Then you must fill the first column of the field with the name of the file that contains the font. Check Platform SDK Documentation for more information.
Any chance of seeing this feature (auto registerring of fonts) in AdvancedInstaller?
Cata

Yup, it's been implemented for our next version, 3.0, due for release Any Time Now. :-)

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”