AI_Newbie

How does AI determine where to pull a DLL from?

As the user name suggests, I'm a total newbie to Advanced Installer. I've tried searching for answers on the site, but I guess I'm not searching for it correctly, because I'm not getting any help.

I have a project that has a lot of 3rd party DLLs through direct references or nuget packages. We reference System.Net.Http.dll through a nuget package, because we needed a specific version. However, Advanced Installer is using the built-in System.Net.Http.dll through the .NET Framework.

This opens up 2 questions...

1. How can I force Advanced Installer to use the nuget version of the DLL, like Visual Studio does when you compile the project?

2. Lastly, as a whole, how can I force Advanced Installer to basically use all files (folders and subfolders) within the /bin/Release directory, rather than referencing things like C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.6.1\ (among other locations)?
Daniel

Re: How does AI determine where to pull a DLL from?

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I assume you are using our Visual Studio Extension and your question is related to this context.

1. To do so you should go to "Files and Folders" page of your setup project in Visual Studio, use the [Add Project Output] button and choose to include the "References" of your application project. If this doesn't work, could you please forward us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com a small sample VS solution that replicates the issue? Or if you are allowed you could send us by email your actual solution (SLN + its included project files - only the project files without their source code) so we can further investigate this.

Also, for testing purposes only could you please set the "Copy Local" flag of your Nuget System.Net.Http.dll to True, rebuild your VS solution and make sure VS does copy the Nuget System.Net.Http.dll to your bin\release folder?

2. To do so you should not use our [Add Project Output] button to add the application files into your setup project. Instead you should use the [Edit in Advanced Installer] button to edit the setup project in AI desktop app, go to "Files and Folders" page and use our "Synchronized Folders" support to sync your bin\release folder from disk into a directory from "Files and Folders" page of your setup project.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”