Saurbaum

Merge Modules that include MSILockPermissionEx

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:32 am

I've got a merge module that I need to include and it makes use of MsiLockPermissionEX. Adding this in a Advanced installer automatically includes the mutually exclusive LockPermissions table with no entries. The UI then prevents me from removing this table.

Because of that when I attempt to install it Windows flags this as an error and stops the installation. If I consume the merge module in a wix project then everything works fine. Manually editing the resulting msi with Orca to drop the table the install no longers complains.

Happens on the latest version of advanced installer with a new .net project that only contains this merge module.

Daniel

Re: Merge Modules that include MSILockPermissionEx

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Hello,

I tested and replicated the behavior. It seems this is indeed due to an Advanced Installer limitation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do include as an empty table the "LockPermissions" table even when you do not configure any permission control list in the setup project. And the reason we act like that is just because in the past we had customers with other MSM files that required the "LockPermissions" empty table in order to behave correctly.

We will try to add an improvement in the future to make the "LockPermissions" table optional. When the improvement is out we will notify you.

Unfortunately, in the meantime there is no available workaround solution in Advanced Installer to exclude the LockPermissions table. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Re: Merge Modules that include MSILockPermissionEx

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:58 am

Hello,

This was fixed in version 16.1 of Advanced Installer, released on July 2nd, 2019.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”