Chetan

Setting REBOOT property to Froced in custom action does not give reboot prompt.

Hi,

Advanced installer is not showing any reboot prompt when i set the REBOOT property to Forced in a custom action.
I want to prompt user to reboot when prerequisite(s) has been installed.
I check the installation of prerequisite by saving it's return value in a property.
I also have a custom action which sets the REBOOT to Forced when the property has some value(not empty).

But the installer does not show any reboot prompt after the installation. I notice that a window pops up and disappears immidiately after the installation.
Probably this is the reboot prompt?

I've attached the project file.

Kind Regards,
Chetan.
Attachments
CustomFeatureInstallCLI.aip
(25.43 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Catalin

Re: Setting REBOOT property to Froced in custom action does not give reboot prompt.

Hello Chetan,

We already provide predefined support for what you want to achieve.

To do so, please go to "Prerequisites" page, click on your prerequisite --> "Properties" tab --> under "Options" section --> "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" which has two additional options:

1. Always
2. Only if prerequisite was installed successfully

Wouldn't it be easier to use this instead of the custom action approach?
:D

If this is not enough, please let me know and I will start my investigations in what regards the custom action approach.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Catalin

Re: Setting REBOOT property to Froced in custom action does not give reboot prompt.

Additionally to my last thread, the REBOOT property suppresses certain prompts for a restart of the system. An administrator typically uses this property with a series of installations to install several products at the same time with only one restart at the end.

If this property is set to " Force", the setup always prompt for a restart at the end of the installation. The UI always prompts the user with an option to restart at the end.

Best regards,
Catalin
Chetan

Hi Catalin,

I've tried your suggestion of 'Only if prerequisite was installed successfully' but this prompts for reboot after a prerequisiste install.
I would rather have that the system reboots only once at the end of complete installation 'prerequisists + application'.

With the Reboot - Force approach i think that i got the reboot prompt after complete installation but that prompt vanished as quickly. Is it possible that the end of installation closing this prompt?

Regards,
Chetan.
Catalin

Hello Chetan,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I have further investigate this and I was indeed able to replicate the behavior.

The reason behind this is the fact that the REBOOT property is ignored if it's set anywhere after the "Paths Resolution" action group - "Wizard Dialogs Stage" when having the "Enhanced User Interface" option enabled. Please have a look on our "Why the REBOOT property is ignored when using Enhanced User Interface?" FAQ.

With that being said, could you please schedule your "SetProperty" custom action before the "Paths Resolution" action group, in "Wizard Dialogs Stage"? This way, the reboot prompt should be displayed at the end of the installation.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Chetan

Hi Catalin,

Yes your suggestion helped. Now i get nice roboot prompt after the system is installed successfully.
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Chetan
Catalin

You are always welcome, Chetan.

Glad to help.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”