bss

Patch error "This package can only be run from a bootstrapper"

Hello,

I have a problem exeucting a Patch built with Advanced Installer. The patch is build with an Exe-Bootstrapper. The Error message after executing the patch is ""Dieses Paket kann nur von einem Bootstrapper aus ausgeführt werden" which is probably the german version of "This package can only be run from a bootstrapper".

I think I traced the error back to this condition in the .aip:

Code: Select all

<ROW Condition="SETUPEXEDIR OR (REMOVE=&quot;ALL&quot;)" Description="Dieses Paket kann nur von einem Bootstrapper aus ausgeführt werden" DescriptionLocId="AI.LaunchCondition.RequireBootstrapper" IsPredefined="true" Builds="DefaultBuild"/>
The cause of the error is the property SETUPEXEDIR not being set. Manually setting the property at execution time with

Code: Select all

Patch.exe SETUPEXEDIR=C:\Users\vm-setups\Desktop
seems to fix this problem. Unfortunately this leads to the custom UI, which is usually only visible during a normal install, suddenly being shown during a patch. Also the UI has visual bugs and another error occurs during InstallFinalize. I suspect setting the SETUPEXEDIR property manually has some unwanted side effects.

What could be the problem for the SETUPEXEDIR not being set in the beginning?

There are two languages defined in the project, but the language selection dialog is not being used. Also the Product Codes of both languages are the same.
Catalin

Re: Patch error "This package can only be run from a bootstrapper"

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Are you building an EXE setup with resources next to it? If so, are you trying to launch the MSI that is located next to your EXE?

This message is displayed by a launch condition that is automatically added at build-time in the EXE packages that are created with Advanced Installer 11.3 and later. It was added in order to prevent the incorrectly drawn User Interface that could be displayed when an MSI package was launched outside its related EXE setup file.
Also the UI has visual bugs and another error occurs during InstallFinalize.
From what I see in your thread, this might be the case.
What could be the problem for the SETUPEXEDIR not being set in the beginning?
This most probably happens if you launch the MSI without its EXE bootstrapper.

The SETUPEXEDIR property represents the location of the EXE bootstrapper (it is resolved when you launch the installation through the EXE bootstrapper).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
bss

Are you building an EXE setup with resources next to it? If so, are you trying to launch the MSI that is located next to your EXE?
The result of Advanced Installer build process is an EXE called Patch.exe with a size of 160 MB. This executable is copied to a VM where the previous version of our software is installed. No MSI is involved during this process.

I'm not sure if the resulting Patch.exe is the "Bootstrapper". If I launch the Patch.exe is the patch executed with its bootstrapper?

In the Advanced Installer project in the Build Category in the Bootstrapper tab "Use EXE" is checked an the Name is "Patch.exe".
Catalin

Hello,

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following:

- a download link for the first version of your product (e.g. 1.0.0)

- a download link for the second version of your product (e.g. 1.0.1)

- a download link for the patch

- the .AIP file used to build the first project (e.g. 1.0.0)

- the .AIP file used to build the second project (e.g. 1.0.1)

- the project that was used to build the patch

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”