terry151151

Unhandled Exception:Retrieving the COM class factory

In Visual Studio 2017/2019 I'm getting the following error from Advanced Installer.

Unhandled Exception:Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F6D69C22-C70F-416D-80E6-DBA6A90B56C7} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
1>Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F6D69C22-C70F-416D-80E6-DBA6A90B56C7} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

I have tried uninstalling the Visual Studio extension and then reinstalling. Also I've tried a repair install of Advanced Installer, both with no success.
Also when I try to call up Advanced Installer for within Visual Studio I get the following error: Advanced Installer Extension "Failed to save project changes." and then Advanced Installer opens up showing the old project and files.

I'm currently unable to build a new install set which I really need to do.

All help much appreciated,
Terry
Catalin

Re: Unhandled Exception:Retrieving the COM class factory

Hello Terry,

Unfortunately, I am not aware why this problem occurs.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me, by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com, the solution file (and all the project files it includes - without their source code)?

Additional to that, could you please give me some more details as to when this error occurs?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
terry151151

I had to get the update out quickly, so I re-created the Advanced Installer project from scratch and it worked.
So I'll leave it at that.

Terry
Catalin

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am glad that you got this working.

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with.

Best regards,
Catalin
zeiddev

I realise that this is an old issue but I am also getting exactly the same error. The build works fine in AdvancedInstaller but when it is run as part of a setup project it fails.

I am on version 16.7.4 of Visual Studio, and 17.5 of AI.

For expediency, I will also just rebuild the set up app but I just wanted to report this so that you were aware of this.

David
Catalin

Hello David,

Could you pelase try to update your Visual Studio to the latest version (if I'm not mistaken, that would be 16.7.5), re-test the scenario and let me know if that helps?

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”