BCh

Prerequisite Fails but Incorrect Message saying next Prerequisite Fails

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi,

Using Enterprise Version 16.0.

I have had an install work successfully for over 6 months and now all of a sudden it has stopped working.

I have the following prerequisites in order:
- .Net 3.5
- ODBC driver
- SQL Server 2014 Express SP2
- SAP Crystal Reports runtime
- ……
The option to “Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed” is NOT selected.

What I am finding is:
1) SQL Server 2014 Express is NOT installed - with no message to say the SQL install failed.
2) Getting message that SAP Crystal reports was not correctly installed. The install log notes
"Fatal error: SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework (64-bit) mandatory prerequisite was not correctly installed."

Question is how come the install continues with the Crystal prerequisite install even when the SQL Server install fails.

The start of the SQL Error log is shown below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall summary:
Final result: Failed: see details below
Exit code (Decimal): -2061893600
Start time: 2019-06-28 06:36:51
End time: 2019-06-28 06:44:02
Requested action: Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
Troubleshooting information for those features:
Next step for RS: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Next step for SQLEngine: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Next step for FullText: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Next step for Replication: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
Machine name: DESKTOP-8SQ6CTN
Machine processor count: 2
OS version: Windows 8
OS service pack:
OS region: United States
OS language: English (United States)
OS architecture: x64
Process architecture: 64 Bit
OS clustered: No

------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS version in log file says Windows8 but a winver says Windows 10. Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.858)????

Thanks,
Brian

Eusebiu

Re: Prerequisite Fails but Incorrect Message saying next Prerequisite Fails

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 am

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late reply.

This may happen if something got corrupted on that machine. Can you reproduce the problem on multiple clean machines? If so, please send us your project to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so we can investigate it and try to reproduce the problem.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

BCh

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 am

Bit more information.

Have install that needs to install SQL 2014.

SQL 2014 needs to have .NET 3.5 installed which I also have as a prerequisite.

I do not use Predefined Prerequisites since (1) requires some user understanding and (2) requires internet access which is not always possible (if possible can be really slow).

I install .NET 3.5 using DISM which I initiate from a C# program (do this to make install as simply and controlled due to user's PC understanding and experience) .

I have set in Requirements | Prerequisites | Packages | Pre-install to Reboot system after installing this prerequisite ONLY if prerequisite was installed successfully.

The install and reboot after .Net 3.5 works fine.

After the reboot the install continues on the sequence of next prerequisites where the install prompts for location of the SQL files. The default location is correct as per advance install setup.

The SQL then appears to install.

The install then gives an error on the next prerequisite saying that it did not install correctly.

On checking the SQL install (using Services command and checking SQL log files) I find that it did not install successfully.

When checking the SQL Summary.txt in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log I see that
- Install location is correct as per advanced Installer configuration - getting it from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Company\ApplicationName\prerequisites\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU_2014S
- Configuration file location is not correct - getting it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20190707_185232\ConfigurationFile.ini.

Not sure if this is the issue in that SQL picking up incorrect Configuration location after reboot.

I have Install Command Lines for SQL install as "/ConfigurationFile="[LocalAppDataFolder]Company\ApplicationName\prerequisites\ConfigurationFile.ini""

I can install successfully if:
- I manually install .Net 3.5 outside of advanced Installer and then
- I manually install SQL 2014 using the downloaded location of C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Company\ApplicationName\prerequisites\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU_2014S - after Advanced Installer extracts.

I can NOT duplicate this issue on my VM machines.
Have the issue on multiple installs in US. I am in Australia and use TeamViewer to access US PC's.

As I have noted this has only been issue on the last install I have created for this application.

Will try on another clean PC and will send you the project.

Thanks,
Brian

Eusebiu

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the project.

I investigated it and tried to reproduce the behavior, but I was not able to. Are you sure that you did not change anything in the project when you created this last version?

Unfortunately, there's no way to determine what's causing this unless we can replicate the behavior. Can you send me your package or a sample package that reproduces the problem along with the environment information and the steps that we should follow in order to reproduce the behavior?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”