ehardin

Licensing black list what does it do

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Is there any where in help that says exactly what the black list in Licensing -> Trial & Registration -> Trial does?

Will it turn off the program for someone on the black list.

I could do this programmatically if I could GetPropertyValue(L"LicenseKey".... but apparently that does not work in AI.

Ed

Daniel

Re: Licensing black list what does it do

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Hello Ed,

In the "Blacklist" section you can simply add the license keys that are no longer supported by the current version of your product.

When someone with such a license key registered on his machine installs the current version of your setup product, the license will just become invalidated and the application will not work anymore after the trial initialization.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ehardin

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you. That is not explained in the Help. You insinuate that the registration becomes a trial version once that registration number is on the black list. Is that correct? Will ReadSettingsRetStr return 2 == trial?

Ed

Daniel

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Hello Ed,

Yes, this is right. The application will revert to trial mode once the license key is blacklisted.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ehardin

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 pm

I'll continue to check then. My testing doesn't support this. I registered my app on my desktop and then, entered that license key in in the new update's black list and then updated my app via the updater. The returns from initializing the licensing shows that it is still registered.

I've put in my own code and an encrypted database containing any black listed licensing keys to handle this. I just wanted to check if the AI black list was worth even entering. My testing shows it does nothing. But I will test again.

Ed

Return to “Common Problems”