EricP

Setup fails with /qn but works with /qb

A client is trying to run setup silently using /qn. The log file shows that is fails with the log message
Note: 1: 1708

However, the setup works properly if using the parameter /qb. I'm not sure the reason behind it and would like assistance. The setup requires the USERNAME, EMAIL, and PIDKEY property values. Below is the command line used:

msiexec /i "<msi_filename" /qn USERNAME="<name>" EMAIL="<email>" PIDKEY="<serial>" /norestart /l*v c:\windows\logs\setup.log

I am attaching the. aip file. I am using verison 16.0 and just upgrade to 16.1 this morning. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Dict Gold 31.zip
(173.84 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Catalin

Re: Setup fails with /qn but works with /qb

Hello Eric,

Unfortunately, I can not open the sent .AIP file because there are some dialogs missing from the repository.

From what I can see, the dialogs that are missing are the following:

ProdChoiceDlg.aip

SpxInfoDlg.aip

With that being said, could you please forward me those .AIP files as well? You should be able to find them at the following path:

Code: Select all

%programdata%\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Repository\Dialogs\<dialog_name>\<dialog_name.aip>
Also, additionally to that, could you please also send me the log file generated by the setup so I can better investigate this? If it contains any private information, you can forward me the log file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
EricP

Attached are .zip files with the dialogs folders.

Thank you!
Attachments
SpxInfoDlg.zip
(129.65 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
ProdChoiceDlg.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Catalin

Hello Eric,

Thank you for the sent files. I was able now to open the .AIP file.

After further investigating the .AIP, unfortunately, I was unable to find anything that could cause such a behavior.

Also, the error that your client is getting is not helping much either. You can translate that error (1708) to: "Installation operation failed."

In order for me to have a better look at this, could you please forward me the following, by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- the log file from your user's machine so I can further investigate it

- a download link for the setup so I can try to reproduce the behavior on my end

- a PIDKEY sample so I can replicate the installation behavior

Also, as a side note, have you been able to reproduce this behavior on any of your machine or is this specific to only one user?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the provided setup.

I have tested both scenarios and everything worked just fine, the setup was correctly installed.

When running the setup silently (/qn), do you run it from an elevated command prompt? Please keep in mind that in order to run a setup completely silent, you will have to provide administrator privileges (run the cmd prompt with administrator privileges).

However, this is different when it comes to a basic UI installation (/qb), since basic UI installation allows the UAC to prompt the user for approval, which means that it can also run from a non-elevated command prompt, which makes me think that this is the scenario in your case.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”