sharont

aippackagechainer.exe creating random bat files

Hi,

One of my company's customers is complaining that the Installer is installing the file "aippackagechainer.exe" during the installation (being installed under %appdata%\appname\prerequisites\aippackagechainer.exe)
and this file when it is being executed during the installation is creating a random file under C:\windows\TEMP\<some radom name>.tmp.bat, he said that his anti virus is then blocking the installation and he cannot whitelist the file because it has a random name.
Attached the security alert page he is getting.
Attachments
Prerequisites page
Prerequisites page
prerequisites.png (26.62 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
The security alert the customer is getting
The security alert the customer is getting
ae9a6507-92e5-4cf0-bcfe-20dc533c2b20.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Catalin

Re: aippackagechainer.exe creating random bat files

Hello Sharon and welcome to our Forums,

The "aipackagechainer.exe" is an executable which, as you have already seen, is used to create a little script which will launch files after the main installation is done. This is mainly used in two cases:

1. when you have post-install prerequisite in your package. Post-install prerequisite are launched in execution after the main installation process ends, so there is no way for it to know when to launch it.

2. when you have feature-based prerequisites in your package. Feature based prerequisites, during a silent install, are treated as post-install prerequisites, due to the fact that two installations can not take place at the same time on the same machine.

In what regards the antivirus detection, that is true. The two extensions on the same file was used as a phishing technique in the past, thus it is normal for the antivirus to detect the bat file.

However, we have changed this behavior starting with our latest release (Advanced Installer 16.1). We no longer create files with double extension now. With that being said, could you please tell me if the setup was built using the latest version of Advanced Installer? If not, could you please download the latest version, rebuild your setup and let me know if you are still able to replicate the issue?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sharont

Thank you very much,
I used version 16.0 to package the app installation,
I will try to repackage the installer with the newest version and i will you know if it helped.

Regards,
Sharon.
Catalin

Thanks for your followup on this, Sharon.

I will look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”