tscheuerman

Installer seems to run successfully but files are missing

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Hello,

I am using Advanced Installer 14.8 Build 281f49a4fb (Yes I know there is a update) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bit.

I've created an installer that installs Tomcat 9 and deploys a website. When I run the installer on various 64 bit Window Server Operating Systems (i.e. 2008R2, 2012, etc...) the installer successfully installs Tomcat 9 and deploys a website.

However, when I run the installer on a Windows Server 2016 machine, the installer appears to run successfully (no errors are reported) but fails to deploy a website. I have tried this on multiple Window Server 2016 machines and the results are consistent (i.e. no installer errors are reported and the website does not get deploy). I have attached a copy of the installation log for your review with the hope that you can explain why this is an issue on Windows Server 2016 and how I can get the Installer to work on a Windows Server 2016 machine.

Thanks in advance!
Todd
Attachments
MSIC671.zip
(81.28KiB)Downloaded 215 times

Eusebiu

Re: Installer seems to run successfully but files are missing

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Todd,

I looked over the log file that you send, but it shows that all the files from the packages were installed. Can you send me your project to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate it?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tscheuerman

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for your reply!

As I mentioned, the installer seems to run fine except for the fact that after running the installer there is no deployed website. THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING ON WINDOWS 2016; installer works just fine on Windows 2012, Windows 2008 R2, Windows 10. There seems to be an issue in AI regarding the threads that Custom Actions are running under in that even though a Custom Action is configured to "wait until completed", subsequent Custom Actions are running BEFORE prior Custom Actions have completed.

In my case I got around my issue my including all the website files in the project rather than relying on a Custom Action to start a Tomcat Service to deploy my .war file.

What I saw when running the installer was the following:

- Custom Action #1 to install a Tomcat service. This custom action never seemed to have an issue.
- Custom Action #2 to configure the Tomcat service (i.e. make it automatic). Again no issue.
- Custom Action #3 to start the Tomcat Service. This is where strange things started to happen. This Custom action was configured to wait until completed. This custom action's purpose was to simply deploy the .war file!
- Custom Action #4 to stop the Tomcat Service. This step appeared to run before the completion of Custom Action #3.
- Custom Action #5 attempts to copy a folder to the deployed website. This step always ran and I saw the folder copied to the website.
- Custom Action #6 to restart the Tomcat Service now that ALL required files had been copied to the website.

No errors were reported by AI at this point. Using Explorer I would navigate to where the website was to have been installed and ONLY the folders/files found was the folder that was copied to the deployed website in Custom Action #5.

I am using Tomcat 9.0.21, Java JDK-11.0.3.

Like I said, I got around the issue but wanted to mention it because I was forced to manually installed the website files rather than use the documented AI process for starting Tomcat.

Eusebiu

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Todd,

We will investigate this in order to find and fix the problem if it is caused by Advanced Installer. Thank you for the feedback!

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”