alco

Localized group accounts resolved to empty string in English system language

We encountered an issue where group accounts in non-English system language caused install errors. We found that we need to localize the group accounts per this FAQ.

This worked well for non-English system language, but broke the installation on English system language, where the folders where we applied these localized permission actually lost all permissions and had to be reset manually.
before-install.png
before-install.png (41.64 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
after-install.png
after-install.png (34.54 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
The install log file also shows several entries like this.

Code: Select all

SID WARNING: User account '[GRP_EVERYONE]' resolved to an empty string! 
Last edited by alco on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alco

Re: Localized group accounts resolved to empty string in English system language

Btw, the reason for opting to use "[GRP_EVERYONE]" instead of "Everyone" is because the latter failed to resolve/localize in German system language. (see below)
Everyone-not-localized-in-German.PNG
Everyone-not-localized-in-German.PNG (12.05 KiB) Viewed 7573 times
Daniel

Re: Localized group accounts resolved to empty string in English system language

Hello Albert,

This may happen if you did not enable the "Keep existing permissions" option for the permissions you configured into your setup project.

If this still doesn't help you, then can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alco

Hi Daniel,

Even if we keep existing permissions, I don't think that will solve the empty string for [GRP_EVERYONE], do you think so? I'll send over the verbose log & .aip file.
Daniel

Hello Albert,

No, you are right, but actually I cannot say why the empty string for GRP_EVERYONE property is logged in installation log nor if this does have any impact over the installation process.

However, could you please check the keep existing permissions option, rebuild your setup project and see how this acts? If the same issue occurs, then please forward us again over email the last version of your .AIP (project), the installation verbose log and a download link to the last built setup package so we can fully test this on our side too?

All the best,
Daniel
alco

Hi Daniel,

It does have an impact because if I revert to non-localized group names like "Everyone", the permissions are applied correctly. The question is why GRP_EVERYONE end up empty in English system language. Could it be a bug in 12.4 - we're using this version for this project?

In any case, I'll try to keep existing permissions, rebuild, and then let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Albert
alco

Here are some results after the test.

Before install - note the Users group's presence
before-install2.png
before-install2.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
After install - note the Users group is replaced by something called BUILTIN
after-install2.png
after-install2.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
Granted that Everyone remained, but this is probably because we kept the permissions in the installer.
The Users group, on the other hand, got replaced by BUILTIN. Please note that this is configured in the installer package as the localizable GRP_USERS.

I'll send over the .aip, .log, & setup package by email for analysis. Thanks!
Daniel

Hello Albert,

Thank you for your sent files. Using your setup package I was able to replicate the issue and isolate the root cause. It seems both issues (GRP_EVERYONE resolved to empty string and BUILTIN account added in permissions list) were caused by a bug replicating in our old versions of Advanced Installer.

The custom action (AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials) we use to resolve the value of user account localized properties was not included in your setup project, thus at install time the GRP_EVERYONE property was not resolved to the correct value. Also this generated the creation of a BUILTIN user account entry in permissions list. Unfortunately we are not able to replicate the circumstances when an old setup project reaches this state, so we cannot say for sure what are the premises when this custom action is not included in a setup project that uses the GRP_EVERYONE property configured for a file/folder permission entry.

However, I fixed and sent you a fixed copy of your setup project over email. Can you please rebuild and test it again on your side and let us know how this goes? Also, for any future setting you want to change to your setup project please use the fixed copy I sent you.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
alco

Thanks, Daniel! I can confirm that the issue appears to be solved:
- no more "SID WARNING: User account '[GRP_EVERYONE]' resolved to an empty string!" in English system language
- permissions are applied correctly in English system language
- no BUILTIN user account entry in English system language
- install in German system language remains functional, no other issues observed
Daniel

You are always welcome Albert.

I am glad to hear that.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”