rami vemula

Can we create Event Source (for Windows Event log) using Advanced Installer?

Using Advanced Installer (Enterprise project) can we create a Windows Event source (typically a source for event log)? I think we can achieve it using a custom action, but I want to explore if there is a default way to achieve this requirement.
Daniel

Re: Can we create Event Source (for Windows Event log) using Advanced Installer?

Hello Rami,

I am afraid we do not have a predefined support for this.

As you already pointed out, the only workaround is through your own developed custom action.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jminsa

Re: Can we create Event Source (for Windows Event log) using Advanced Installer?

I do it with a inline powershell script using the New-EventLog command

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... rshell-5.1

Your setup needs to run with elevated privileges because creating log sources is reserved to administrators.
Catalin

Hello,

Thank you for contributing to our forums.

I am sure that the information will be useful for the OP and also for other users facing a similar scenario.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
rami vemula

Thanks for the replies. I was able to complete the requirement using "File Launch" custom action with a batch file (which is uploaded as temporary file) as described at https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... -file.html.
Daniel

Thank you for sharing your approach with us.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”