bljanssen

SetVersion can't remove a TargetFile attribute

As part of our QA process for testing the Auto-Update functionality we use a script in our build to create copy of the normal install AIP file and set the version on the copy to 99.99.9999.9999. We recently tried setting the normal install AIP file to use a TargetFile to get the Version number which worked nicely. But now, when we run the "/SetVersion 99.99.9999.9999" command on the copied file it is not removing the "TargetFile" attribute from the ProductVersion tag in the AIP file. It does correctly set the Versin in the file to 99.99.9999.9999 but once we build the installer, it still pulls the version from the TargetFile and resets the Version from 99.99.9999.999 back to the version on the TargetFile.

Is there a way to remove the TargetFile attribute from the ProductVersion tag via command line?

My alternative was to just create another file with the version set to 99.99.9999.9999 and when doing the SetVersion command just set the TargetFile to point to that file. I was hoping I did not have to do that though.

Thanks for any help.
Daniel

Re: SetVersion can't remove a TargetFile attribute

Hello,

I tested the scenario and replicated the behavior. This seems to be a current limitation of our /SetVersion command line. When the ProductVersion is set to be retrieved from a file (version) you cannot overwrite this option by using the /SetVersion command.

We will try to fix this limitation in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing this to our attention. When the improvement will be available we will update this forum thread.

Until then as a workaround you can try indeed to use a file with the highest version number set.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Daniel

Re: SetVersion can't remove a TargetFile attribute

Hi,

This issue was fixed in version 16.4.1 of Advanced Installer released on October 8th, 2019.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”