markus.johansson

Folder paths don't update properly.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Discovered in 16.2

Steps to quickly reproduce:
1. Create and build a new project.
2. Run the .msi.
3. In the folder select dialog, use the browse button to choose a folder and hit the OK button.
5. Hit the browser button again, then click on the "up one level button".
6. Now single click on the folder that you first selected and you will se that the folder name string does not update.

When hit the OK button, one might think that the last selected folder would have been selected, but it's actually the subfolder. This seems to be because the selected folder is the "last selected folder" and I guess that some kind of on change event needs to be trigger for the string to be updated.

This may seem trivial and easy to work around, and it is. But it has actually led to some problem for us as we are using two folder paths, and when the user select the same folder the second time, he/she will get the subfolder instead.

Daniel

Re: Folder paths don't update properly.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello Markus,

I tested and replicated the behavior. I cannot say for sure why this happens but this behavior may be generated by the default Windows Installer controls we use when an MSI package type is built. We will investigate this case and if possible we will try to add an improvement in the future. When so we will notify you on this thread.

Until then, as a workaround you can enable our "Enhanced User Interface" feature that make use of a modern browse dialog that does not replicate such issue. However, please note that our Enhanced UI feature can be enabled only for an EXE package type, therefore you will have to build an EXE package type.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”