crowder

Azure Ocean Bubbles theme - UI and silent install to change properties on an already installed version

Hi,

I am using Advanced Installer 16.3. I have two installers and exe and an msi. They both use the Azure Ocean Bubbles theme. The installers copy files into place and use properties entered by the user to set/replace values in some of the files.

Properties may need to be updated in an already installed version through the command line silently and user interface for both the msi and exe.

For the silent install I have looked online and tried a number of command combinations to try and work out how to do this. Please could you let me know if it is just a matter of using the uninstall then install commands with the new properties or is there other commands to carry this out.

For the user interface for both the msi and exe, I followed the instructions on the below web pages and used the example package as a template. I could recreate this using the same theme as used in the template. I couldn’t get this to work in the theme I am using for Add or Remove Features. It did work for repair. I tried to change where the page to update the properties was as implied. This didn’t seem to make a difference.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22902&sid=27fcf4f18 ... ab447ab011
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... rties.html

Please find attached my attempt at the example.
Your Application2.aip
(26.12 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Please could you let me know if it is possible and if so how to resolve this for both the msi and exe. Also, if the repair, the Add or Remove Features or both are the intended place to update properties in an already installed version?

Once the properties have been updated this would need to replace values in the installed files. If both the repair and Add or Remove Features uninstall and reinstall the version there would be no issue. If it doesn’t please could you let me know how to do this.
Catalin

Re: Azure Ocean Bubbles theme - UI and silent install to change properties on an already installed version

Hello Crowder,

First of all:
I am using Advanced Installer 16.3. I have two installers and exe and an msi. They both use the Azure Ocean Bubbles theme.
The "Azure - Ocean Bubbles" theme requires an .EXE package type alongside with the "Enhanced User Interface" option. With that being said, I am afraid that this theme is not usable in an MSI package.
Properties may need to be updated in an already installed version through the command line silently
Let's have the following sample, so we can better understand this:

- in your package, you have a .TXT file. Let's consider that the content of this file is the following:

Code: Select all

My name is 
- when first installing this, you want to ask the user to enter his name in the dialogs. All fine by now. After doing so, you probably are using a text file update to update the .TXT file with whatever the user inputted in the dialog control (e.g. an editbox).

In order to achieve what you want, we can make use of Upgrades. A major upgrade is essentially the removal of an older product which is replaced by a newer product. So, basically:

- we will create an updated version of your setup which will uninstall the previous version and then install the new one with the upgraded properties.

To do so, please:

- go to "Product Details" page and increase the version from the "Version" field

- when prompted with the following, click "Generate new"
GeneratePC.png
GeneratePC.png (9.69 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
- build the new version of your setup

Now, the user should run the setup with the following command line in order to achieve what you want:

Code: Select all

setup.exe /exenoui /qn YOUR_PROPERTY="the new value"
Important: make sure to not leave any " " (spaces) between property name and "=" and between "=" and its new value.

The same goes with the full UI. All the users need to do is to launch the setup and enter the data once again in the dialog. At the end, the data will be replaced in your files.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
crowder

Re: Azure Ocean Bubbles theme - UI and silent install to change properties on an already installed version

Hi,

Just to clarify, I am trying to allow a user to change application configuration they have entered incorrectly or requires updating for an existing product version.

The topic below I linked to in my initial post and given below suggests values can be reentered in at least the user interface using the maintenance mode using both repair and Add or Remove Features.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22902&sid=27fcf4f18 ... ab447ab011

In my attempt at the example with the Azure Ocean Bubbles theme, given below, it works with repair only, for both the exe and msi.
Your Application2.aip
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
1. Is it possible to get this working with Add or Remove Features using the Azure Ocean Bubbles theme?

2. For the silent command line, is there anyway to do this without either updating the version or uninstalling and reinstalling the product?
Catalin

Hello Crowder,

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed reply.

A text file update is executed on a component install, uninstall, or both.
Annotation 2019-10-11 172050.png
Annotation 2019-10-11 172050.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
during the Maintenance mode, if you click on the "Change" button, the component is neither installed or uninstalled, therefore the text file update will not take place.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”