Marc451

Repackaging Npcap

I tried to repackage the Npcap 0.9983 installer (https://nmap.org/npcap/) and it seems the services NPCAP and NPF are not properly created. Might also be more additional problems. I am not a Windows expert.

Any idea how to get it working?
Catalin

Re: Repackaging Npcap

Hello Marc and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

I have downloaded the setup you've mentioned (Npcap 0.9983) and after installation, I noticed that no services were created. This is how I have checked it:

- open PowerShell elevated

- use the (get-services).count cmdlet

- install the setup

- check the number of the services again

After doing so, I could notice that the service number was the same. Please keep in mind that I have tested the installer manually (the one from the link you have provided), not the repackaged one.

According to "Programs and Features", the setup seems to be correctly installed.

As I am not familiar with this software, could you please give me some more details about it? Maybe there's something that I have missed. For instance, there is a dialog (during the installation process) where four checkboxes appear. I have installed it without checking any of those checkboxes. Should I check any of those? If so, could you please let me know which ones?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Marc451

Hi Catalin,

thanks for your answer.

Npcap is a network package capture library for Windows used by Nmap and Wireshark for example.

If you run the npcap exe-installer without any options the service npcap will be created. You can verify that with 'Get-Service npcap'.

If you check the 'Install Npcap in WinPcap API-compatible Mode' during installation additionally the service npf is created (see 'Get-Service npf'). This is the configuration I am using and I tried to repackage.

As far as I can tell, these two services are not (properly) created when using an msi-installer created with AI by capturing the install session of the exe-installer.
Catalin

Hello Marc,

Thank you for the followup on this and for the explanation. It was certainly helpful.

It seems that I was tricked into looking into the services manager (services.msc). It looks like the services installed by a driver are not shown there.

After running few tests on our end, I was indeed able to replicate the described behavior. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the root cause of this issue.

Please give us some more time to further investigate this and as soon as we will come to a conclusion I will update this thread.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Marc,

Upon further investigations, I think I have found a way in which you can install your driver, other than using the Repackager.

In order to achieve this, please follow our "EXE(s) to MSI" article.

After doing so, please go to "Install Parameters" page and select the "Limit to basic user interface (simple progress and error handling)". This way, the UI of our MSI wrapper will reduced.

Additionally, you can also uncheck the "Register product with Windows Installer" option from "Product Details" page. This way, the MSI wrapper will not be registered in Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”