TheWire

Calling Updater silently from application

I have set up project files to use the Updater to install updates using Updater from within our application. It works fine without any command line switches but that shows the UI for the installation and we need it to install silently.

I have tried different combinations of the command line switches and options without success. I have tried various suggestions from other forum posts and the user guide. The current command line options I am using at the moment are "/silentall -nogui -nofreqcheck /runservice". Another forum post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36163&p=101431&hilit=nogui#p101431) suggests to add "Flags = SilentInstall|Advertises" line to our updates.txt file. This hasn't resolved the issue.

I have added the "/exenoui /qn" options to the command line in the Update Configuration file project. I have also ticked the "Install update without elevation" option.

In the main msi generation project, I have chosen to "Update support service".

Please can you help with any steps that I have missed or any other ideas on what is wrong?

Also, is there any way to set the “SilentInstall” flag within the Updates Configuration project without having to add it manually to the txt file after it is built?

Thanks
Alan
Eusebiu

Re: Calling Updater silently from application

Hi Alan,

In order to be able to install the updates silently, you need to implement the steps described in the "How to handle updates without elevation" article.

The "SilentInstall" flag is automatically set in the TXT file if the "Attempt to suppress GUI or console" option is set in the "Update Installer" tab of the "Updates Configuration" project. However, this option is necessary only for EXE packages, not MSI, so you may not need it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”