Fulgan

Installing on target disk larger than 4 TB

Hello,

One of my customer cannot install our application on his (networked) drive: although there is plenty of available disk space, the installer doesn't seem let him go forward and complains about free disk space.

We will have him perform a manual installation but I need to understand and fix the problem. My suspition is that the installer fails because the target disk is larger than 4 TB (it's about 4.8 TB) and it falls back to the "not enough free space" message.

Is that correct? If yes, how do I fix it? if not, what could be the cause of the issue?

I'm using AI version 16.5
Eusebiu

Re: Installing on target disk larger than 4 TB

Hi,

I'm not sure why your customer encounters this problem. I've tested the scenario and my package is installed as expected on a network drive larger than 4 TB. Can you reproduce this problem on multiple machines? Can you send me your project and a link to your package to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can download it and test it on my side?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Fulgan

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I have been unable to reproduce that issue on a VM either but the problem is real on that system. I requested a verbose log from the user but haven't received it yet.

I will forward you my project and a link to the software download itself off list.
Eusebiu

Hi,

I downloaded and tested your software and it installed successfully on my machine. I noticed that your project is created with an older version of Advanced Installer. Can you try to rebuild your package with the latest version and see if the problem persists?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Fulgan

Hello,

Actually, the version of API used is the latest one (16.5). The project is not updated because the way AI works makes it difficult to maintain it in a source control (every build action changes the package) so the builder script makes a copy first before using it. It's just that the last time we edited the API file was with an other version.

I have receved the log file from the failed install I'll be forwarding it to you.

Thank you for your help.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Indeed, the log file shows that the "out of disk space" message is displayed during the installation, but I'm afraid that it's hard to determine what is causing this unless we can replicate the behavior.

Does the user have enough disk space on the Windows drive? During the installation, most of the resources from the package are extracted on that drive, so the warning may be displayed if it does not have enough space. Can the user reproduce the problem on multiple machines?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Fulgan

Hello and thank you for the answer.

I have nothing except the screenshots I have sent you. I has requested a MSInfo32 save in order to have more information but I haven't received it yet.

Isn't it a way to know what drive the installer had an issue with?
Eusebiu

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to say which drive has insufficient disk space. Windows Installer only sets the "OutOfDiskSpace" and "OutOfNoRbDiskSpace" properties to True or False if the space is insufficient or not.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Fulgan

Hello,

My customer is back and he finally sent me a MSINFO32 report.

From what I can see, all local disk have plenty of available space.

What can I do?
Eusebiu

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

We've made some tests here, but we could still not reproduce the problem and this makes it so hard to find the root of it or a solution for it.

What you can try, is to remove or set a false condition for the "OutOfDiskDlg" and "OutOfRbDiskDlg" published events that are available on the "Install" button from the "VerifyReadyDlg" dialog from the package you sent to this customer and see if it helps.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Fulgan

We've made some tests here, but we could still not reproduce the problem and this makes it so hard to find the root of it or a solution for it.
I understand: I have the same issue. The customer is, unfortunately, uncooperative so I can't have a good handle of his environment (no remote access, for instance).
What you can try, is to remove or set a false condition for the "OutOfDiskDlg" and "OutOfRbDiskDlg" published events that are available on the "Install" button from the "VerifyReadyDlg" dialog from the package you sent to this customer and see if it helps.
I'm not sure I understand that. Furthermore, I'm not sure i can even DO that: I need to restrict the package to "professional" and only "Enterprise" or hight project types can customize the dialogs.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Can your application be installed with Basic UI? If so, please suggest your customer to try installing with the "/qb" command line from an elevated console.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”