mrudolph

PreReq Install: Using the built in .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Using this tool is simple. I select the Package .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and tell it to download it and include it in my install package. It bloats the size of my installer appropriately so it looks like it is being included as I would expect.

At install time (on Windows 10 Enterprise 32bit), I make sure there is no .NET 3.5 installed (registry shows nothing older than v4.0 and Windows Features has 3.5 unchecked). I have it in the Pre-Install section.

Rather than use the embedded installer for .NEt 3.5, it uses the Windows Feature tool to perform the work. Windows Features is not working on this machine outside the installer so I thought I would try including the .NET 3.5 in my installer to get around my failing Windows Features tool.

Why is it not using the embedded .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installer that I bloated my install with?

Thanks,

mr
mrudolph

Re: PreReq Install: Using the built in .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Curious if there is an explanation for the behavior. I am trying to go the route of including cab files instead.
Catalin

Hello Rudolph,

Indeed, you are right. When installing .NET Framework 3.5, it is installed using the Windows Features tool. This is the default behavior of the .NET Framework 3.5 and unfortunately there is nothing much we can do about this (since this is a setup created by Microsoft).

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mrudolph

So why does this feature work this way then? If anything it should bounce the user to the Windows Feature section rather than download the EXE file that Microsoft won't allow to install? If you were using *.cab files, it could work (which is what I tried.
Catalin

Hello,

I am not quite sure I understand your question here.

As explained in my last thread, this is how the .NET Framework 3.5 setup works. If you do not wish to download the setup and include it in your project, then you can create a Windows Feature bundle. To do so, you can right click on "Windows Features" --> "New Windows Feature bundle". After doing so, select the target Operating System(s) and then pick the ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" feature from the list.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”