themuffinman

How to use the command line

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 am

I plan to build an existing Advanced Installer project from the command line. Throughout the documentation it mentions to use some keyword called AdvancedInstaller.com [switches].

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... ld-project

I cannot find any where it mentions on how to configure this keyword or alias. How does it work? I've got AdvancedInstaller installed and when I go to the command line and type AdvancedInstaller.com it is not a recognized term.

Catalin

Re: How to use the command line

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 am

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Indeed, you are right, I've had a look over the articles and it does not mention anywhere what is actually up with the AdvancedInstaller.com tool.

I will forward an improvement to our Technical Writing team to update the article. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

AdvancedInstaller.com is an executable ("MS-DOS Application" type) with the purpose of automating the creation / modification of Advanced Installer projects (.AIP files).

This executable can be found at the following location:

Code: Select all

<path_to_installation_folder>\Caphyon\Advanced Installer <version>\bin\x86
For instance, on my machine, it is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 16.7\bin\x86
Since this is not added by default in the PATH environment variable (so the Windows knows its path by default), you will have to either:

1. use it with the full path, e.g.:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 16.7\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /some_commands
2. in CMD, change the directory to the one specified above, e.g.:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 16.7\bin\x86"
and then use AdvancedInstaller.com without giving the full path, since you already navigated to its location.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”