luke.batko

Custom action DLL not found on win 2019

I have a VERY strange problem when running my setup under win2019 (both MSI and EXE). I have a custom action DLL as visible in the attached image file pr-1.jpg. Based on the sequence that DLL should be called after files are copied to APPDIR. The custom action DLL is deployed to APPDIR so it should be there when it is called from that custom action. Unfortunately the DLL and other files that should be in APPDIR are not in the APPDIR when the custom action is launched. Error message is included as error.jpg. Also I have included the log file msi.log produced by the time that the error message shows up. Everything is fine under Windows 10. Please help.
Attachments
msi.log
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
error.jpg
error.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
pr-1.jpg
pr-1.jpg (930.69 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Catalin

Re: Custom action DLL not found on win 2019

Hello Luke,

This is quite strange, indeed.
Unfortunately the DLL and other files that should be in APPDIR are not in the APPDIR when the custom action is launched.
Have you manually checked this? Please note that you can manually check if the files are there by adding a "MessageBox" custom action right before and after your own and, when the message box is spawned, simply travel to the location and check if the files were correctly copied.
I have a VERY strange problem when running my setup under win2019 (both MSI and EXE)
Have you tested this scenario on a clean machine with Windows Server 2019, or on your developer machine? If it is the later, could you please try to test this on a clean machine (e.g. Virtual Machine) and let me know the outcome?

If you can reproduce this on a clean machine, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of your .AIP file

- a download link for your setup

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this on our end?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
luke.batko

Email sent
luke.batko

I think the problem is very closely connected to my VMs installing earlier version of that software using GPO. Do you know anything about problems when trying to perform manual installs when software software was earlier deployed using GPO?
Catalin

Hello Luke,
Email sent
Could you please double check if you sent the e-mail? I have checked our e-mail and I could not find any e-mail from you (from the e-mail address that you are using here on forum).
I think the problem is very closely connected to my VMs installing earlier version of that software using GPO. Do you know anything about problems when trying to perform manual installs when software software was earlier deployed using GPO?
To be fully honest with you, I am not aware of this scenario.

You can, however, test this by installing the software on a clean machine of Windows Server 2019 (e.g. a Virtual Machine) and then on one that earlier tried to install the software through GPO.

If the issue does not reproduce on the clean machine, but does on the one where the software was earlier deployed, then this might indeed be related to the issue.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”