nchounlapane

Auto-start installer on MSI click

Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Is there a way for the installer to automatically start installing after clicking on the MSI file? It would be conditional of course. This can be achieved via cmd line but would like the capability of clicking on the MSI file to do one of the following:

1. If a certain file exists within a directory, immediately start installation
2. Else, proceed installation wizard as normal

Eusebiu

Re: Auto-start installer on MSI click

Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 am

Hi,

In order for the installation to proceed after the MSI click without showing the wizard dialogs, you can select the "Limit to basic user interface" option from the "Install Parameters" page of your project.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

nchounlapane

Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Eusebiu,

The installer needs to be able to condition itself to either go through the install wizard or immediately start the installation. I'll explain the requirements:

I currently have a config file with key value pairs that will be used to set Installer Properties via custom action. I would like the installer to skip the install wizard if the config file exists within a certain directory, otherwise, proceed the install wizard as normal. Now I can bypass the install wizard dialogs by running the following in powershell:

Code: Select all

.\program.exe /qb /passive 
As a user perspective, I wouldn't want to open the cmd prompt to run a command to accomplish the above task. I would like for the installer to run a custom action to check for that config file. If it exists, immediately start installation, else, run install wizard as normal.

Nick

Eusebiu

Thu May 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm afraid that the UI level (e.g. /qb, /qn) of the installer must be set before it is launched and it cannot be changed during the installation. In order to achieve what you want, you can create your own wrapper that will read the config file and will launch the installer with the appropriate command lines.

If you have other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”