alphonseg

Opening an AI Project in VS Removes all Changes

I started an AI project via VS 2017.
I then upgraded it to professional, made all of my changes, additions, etc.
Built it and tested a deployment. Worked fine.
However, when I open the project from within my VS solution, the entire project is reset. All of my changes, additions are completely gone and the project reset to Simple.
I restored the project from a backup and all looks fine in AI GUI. Try opening via VS and the same thing happens.
Doesn't matter if I use 'Open' or 'Open in Advanced Installer'.
Please fix.
I'll email the files.
Catalin

Re: Opening an AI Project in VS Removes all Changes

Hello Alphonse,

This looks like a strange issue, indeed.

I have tried reproducing this, but I was not able to do so. Everything seemed to be working just fine on my end.

We will further investigate this scenario and I will keep you updated if any information we found proves as being useful.

Until then:

1. Could you please make sure that your solution file points to the right .AIP file?

By default, when using the "Edit in Advanced Installer" option from our Visual Studio extension and modifying the project, upon saving the project, the extension will ask you if you want to reload the project (since it was modified).

Normally, when upgrade your project - e.g. from "Simple" to "Professional" - a backup copy of your .AIP file is created in the same folder.

Please make sure that the Visual Studio does not point to that project.

You can do so by right clicking on the header file (of your project) --> "Open containing folder".

OpenContainingFolder.png
OpenContainingFolder.png (97.71 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

2. If the above is the case, then we can try to exclude the .AIP file from the project and then readd it. To do so, you can right click on the .AIP file --> "Exclude from Project". After doing so, you can readd the modified version of the .AIP file by right clicking on the project --> "Add" --> "Existing Item..." --> point to the modified version of the .AIP file.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alphonseg

Thanks for the reply.
I don't see how my VS solution/project could have used the wrong file.
If you check the 2 files that I sent, you will see that the date created on both is identical, but the date updated on the one opened via VS, is 10 minutes later.
It could also not have to do with the backup file. While, the backup file is 'simple', it still contained the settings that I had changed.
The issue did occur multiple times, so was not a one-time fluke. Also, the editing that was done in the AI GUI, was done with VS closed.
Currently, however, the issue has somehow resolved. Maybe a VS update. On Jun 5 I updated to 15.9.23 from 21 or 22.
I'll post back if it happens again.
Catalin

Hello Alphonse,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am glad everything works as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”